1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New pre' to go with my Nordstrand dual coils

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sshorepunk, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Hi

I started a thread a few days back, asking a bout series / par' options with a pair of Nordstrand dual coils
    I'm also going to fit a new pre', have been talking to John East about this, but I need some mods to a standard J- retro deluxe in order to make it work for me, I'm also hearing a lot of good things about Audere pre's, so these also remian an option!

What I need is this, one switch, to allow series / par' switching of both p/ups at the same time! A way of switching side necks LED's on/off, I do use these when gigging cos they work well in low light and they aren't too "showy" My current plate has the LED's switch on the volume pot, which is push / pull

So I have these two additions to make to whatever pre I choose

Another option is an audere, I have two choices here, the 3 and 6 way Z-modes, opinions or comparisons between the two would be useful, also I would need to know if there is enough room to add two switches to take care of the switching options I mentioned above!

There's more, a simple diagram showing the correct type of switch and correct wiring to allow both Nordstrand dual coils to be switched between series and par', together, off one switch would be useful

Thanks

Tony

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    you got a PM

M

3. Thanks for the info, will also look into a Nordy pre to go with my Nordy p/ups

Can someone tell me what type of switch I need for dual series / par' operation and what is the smallest, practical size they come in?

Cheers

Tony

4. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I used this one

http://www.allparts.com/4-Pol-Mini-Toggle-p/ep-4363-010.htm

Bill

5. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    DPDT on/on/on.

When I ordered my DC's, I got the set wound for parallel operation, assuming they'd be wound hotter to make up for the fact that they're parallel instead of series. I pretty much run them passive. Has anyone talked to the Nordstrand crew about the difference? coil switching is a big part of the appeal of the DC's to me.

Nice pickups. Thanks Billbern for the thread that inspired me to go with them.

[​IMG]

KO

6. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    you mean the difference on having them wound for parallel or series?

if you wind the coil for a basic, standard, series, you don't wanna over wound them. The result would me a sound a little too dark and middy.
    A parallel basic wind has the coil a little over wound so you have a more closer single coil sound (when splitted) and a nice fat, deep sound when in parallel, with a clean but not thin high end. This combination give a thicker and a little darker series combination compared to the series basic wind.

Hope it make sense.

M

edit: I have to say that even the parallel wind wired in series still sound very clear, tho

7. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    BTW, I LOVE the parallel wind! great single coil sound, too

M

8. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    It sounds like I got about what I wanted. I do intend to use them as single as well.

One last question: When running both pickups as single, you want them to humbuck, ala a standard Jazz. To do this, do you wire them so you use (for example - I don't remember the color combinations) the back and red wires from each pick up or the "other two". It's easy enough to find out which wire pairs go together for each coil in a single pick up. The box has a note for parallel and series winding, but it doesn't talk about using them single coil in a humbucking pair.

I can figure it out (and I'm guessing you use "the other pair of wire"), just trying to save the extra soldering/testing phase.

SGD Luthiery has a diagram of the basic wiring for the switches. Seymour Duncan has a great sheet showing common color coding for the wires and how they compare, as well as probably having the diagram for series/single/parallel. Guitarnuts.com has a lot of info on this stuff as well.

If I get done with my own coil switching wiring, I'll post my notes.

KO

9. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
  10. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Color coding (does not cover Nordstrand, but handy):
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes

The switch and more:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_3w_ssp

It looks like Duncan uses the same color wires to form a humbucking pair when run as dual single coil.

The G&L L-1000 is one of my touchstones - passive with coil switching. Here's the schematics:
    http://www.glguitars.com/schematics
    http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/L-1000_schematic_blockdiagram.pdf

KO

11. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Nordstrand, bartolini, sd use the same color coding

M

12. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's very good to know - Thx!

KO

13. Thanks for the info guys!

I emailed Corey at Nordstrand and have also spoke to John East regarding options using a J-retro deluxe.

The big problem is with running a standard 4 pot Jazz plate and needing some sort of switch for the LED's, the amount of room left to fit the switch for dual series / par' operation is very restricted.

I may go with permanent series wiring as I need a good punchy mid sound, but with also check out the par' sound before making a decision
    I got my p/ups from a guy who had them removed from his bass, they are like new, is there any way to tell if they are wound for series or par' use?

Cheers

Tony

14. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    measure the dc resistance and call the shop

M

15. Thanks, will do!

dumb question, but which wires do you measure the resistance across?

Tony

16. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Look at the color coding chart that I linked above. Look at Bartolini's wiring in that chart.

KO

17. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN