Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New preamp differance?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalbass101, Jan 26, 2004.

1. 1-25% difference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 25-45% difference

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. 45-75% difference

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. 75-100% difference

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    How much difference would you say a new preamp would make in a bass?

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    one needs to know a few things to answer that question? Type of old pre type of new pre what do you want the pre to do and not do? type of bass

I assume you mean a on-board pre-amp?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    between a mighty mite and a bartolini/aguilar? Night and day.

Between a Bart and an Aguilar - it's different sides of the coin. Both high quality preamps with their own sound.

4. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Were talking for a carvin replacement.I'd want a preamp that lets me go from a deep smooth warm dub style rumble to a agressive midrange pick attck to a clear glassy piano fundemental to a tight pingy purcussive sound.Thats bassicly what all preamps are supossed to do.My question is how much sound difference can a new onboard preamp make?

5. Sounds like you need 4 basses. :D

The greatest preamp will allow you to alter the tone but not the character of the sound, beyond what you can do with the pickup blend.

Different pres will change the character a bit, but there are many other factors, such as pickups, strings, body & neck wood, fretboard, your fingers, etc.

Brubaker showed a cool setup at NAMM where the preamp is fitted into a removable cartridge, and you can quick change the preamp for another one.

I don't think that the premium preamps in themselves sound all that different from each other.

When I changed out the stock preamp in my CS Jazz Deluxe for a J-Retro, it did make a huge difference, but the original Custom Shop one always sounded terrible.

Aloha,

Jonathan