Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Preamp for my Kingston!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brendan, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just ordered a Bartolini HR 2.4AP for my Kingston 5. Unfortunately, papa needs something to tide me over till I get a Roscoe 7 (I'm serious, that's kinda sad...) So I'm dropping in a new preamp. If they are in stock, I'll get one in about 4-5 days, if not, about a week and a half. It's Volume (Push/Pull Active/Passive) Mid (Push Pull Freqency selector) and a Bass/treble stack. It's gonna be 18v and wired to my Kingston's stock MM style humbucker.

Really lookin forward to it, and props to Grasshopper and Bass Central for the hookup. :D

2. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i ordered bart pups and preamp from grasshopper 3 weeks ago. was told the same thing regarding delivery time... still haven't gotten them yet. i hope you have better luck. (don't get me wrong, bass central is great... but don't hold your breath for special orders from bartolini or fodera).

3. Sounds like a great addition.
    I've been really happy w/ mine Bart pre
    I had special ordered a Bart prewired harness HR 3.4 from Bass central. took them 7days to get it in and 3 days to reach me. Guess i might have been lucky.
    frank

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    You think Barts take a while? I had to wait 3+ months to get my Basslines MM pickups and preamp!

5. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    yeah, i guess that's just how special orders can be...
    taking that into consideration, i still would go with bass central any day~
    :p

btw, Brendan, i'm curious - why did you decide to keep the original pickup and add a preamp? why not change the pickup as well (although i know that it's tough - if not impossible to find a drop-in replacement).

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Answered your own question. Most MM5 style pups don't have the ears on them. So it's pre-amp first.

7. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Definitely let us know how it works out. I'm thinking that the buffering alone (w/out eq engaged) will give the bass some top end bite and clarity.

I'm seriously considering picking up a Kingston and doing the same mod.

8. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i finally got my bart pickup and preamp.
    it was an epic... long story,
    will post a complete review soon.

the short version: barts sound good.

brendan, did you do yours yet?

9. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I assume that you got a model without mounting ears?

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have my HR2.4AP, which should get wired up on Friday on the outside, tonight if I'm lucky. We'll see how it comes out. Should kick some butt.

11. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    marc40a, if you're asking me about which bart pickup, no, i got the one with the ears, which is way too small for a 5 string kingston or heir. that was part of my long story... told grasshopper that i needed a drop in replacement, and that's what i got. the reason i didn't exchange it is i've always wanted wooden pickup covers, and i decided to make my own~
    it'll all be in my review~