1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New preamp for the Brice 6 fretless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jbo, Mar 30, 2009.

1. jbo

jbo

May 2, 2007
    Wichita, KS
    I'm thinking of taking out the duncan STC-3 preamp and replacing it with the Bart 2.5 A/P. I've heard the Bart preamps sound really good in a fretless setting, and I'm not really that happy with the duncan.

My idea is to not use the neck pick-up anymore (not that I use it now) and simply disconnect it and just use the bridge pickup with the single pickup preamp.

Is there anything I should consider before doing this?

Thanks!
    Jordan

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    But then, you'll have a dead pup just sitting there...why not just hook it up and not use it...what if you want to one day?
    (you know what they say about guns...better to have one and not use it than need to use one and not have it)
    I had a Bart preamped HXB 406 fretless, and it sounded amazing. Wish I never sold that bass, kicking myself thinking about it. Had a 4.6 A/P, though; 3-band with mid frequency switch. Lost money on that sale (I'm an a$$hole for selling...)

3. jbo

jbo

May 2, 2007
    Wichita, KS
    yeah, the more i think about, I can fork over the extra cash to get the 4.6. Do you think the mid switch is better than the push/pull, or does it matter?

4. jbo

jbo

May 2, 2007
    Wichita, KS
    Another question, did the stock pups sound good with the bart? Eventually, I would like to put bart pups in it, but have to play a few more gigs to get the cash.

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    My mid frequency "switch" was the mid push-pull pot...just to clarify. The only think that needed to be done was the hole for the treble/bass pot needed to be enlarged a bit, it's a thicker pot shaft (threaded part) than the rest. All the pots are split shaft, so the stock knobs fit, too.
    The Brice pickups did sound pretty good. The bridge pup especially sounded quite growly, sounded a lot like a fretless Warwick if I had to make a comparison.
    I have some .wav files I can email you if you'd like to hear. Just need an address (you can PM it to me).

here are some pics:

I wired it for 18v...hence the 2nd battery in there
    IMG_4771.

IMG_4774.

DSC_3217.

DSC_3237.

(man looking at those pics...wish I hadn't sold it even more!)