1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New preamp in a Squire Bass? - Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rcase1957, Apr 22, 2006.

1. rcase1957

rcase1957

Nov 12, 2005
    :hyper: Hi all,

I have been aching for a new bass for some time, but the ole checkbook will not allow. I have repaced the original pickups with 'fender vintage' pickups and had the cavity lined with tape to cut down on hum.

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to get a better preamp (active) and have it installed in my Squire bass. I like the bass, but I want a better sound and little more punch. I would love to hear from anyone who has done this or has any suggestions. Any idea about the cost?

Please let me know.
    rcase1957

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    well, to be honest i dont think investing in a onboard preamp is that worth it, because you would have to justify spending the same amount of money on a preamp as you did on the bass itself.

3. Donutman's right - don't spend possibly twice as much on the preamp as you did the bass...for the money I'd get a MIM.

4. Easy way to tell if this will help get you the sound you want would be to try an outboard preamp with your bass and rig. Either take your stuff to a store that sells some outboard preamps or get your hands on one to try at home. While some outboards have more flexibility than the onboards by the same manufacturer, many are essentially the same circuit. You may even consider buying an outboard because you can always use it for other basses in the future.

Don't know if I would do it - put an onboard in a Squier - but if you do, you could always take the preamp out later (if you don't hack it) and use it for your next bass or sell it on TB or ebay. Aguilar stuff looks to be a bang for the buck for onboard preamps. You may even find one used on TB. There are plenty of threads floating around about the OBP-1, 2 and 3.

Good Luck,
    S

5. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Not sure what you mean by a "better" sound, but for more punch you might consider different strings, and/or adjusting your pickup height.

Like most everybody else has said, its probably not a good investment to put a couple hundred dollars worth of electronics into a couple hundred dollars worth of bass, and if you save your money now, you might have enough for a new better bass sooner than you think.

6. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    I'm going with TheSuzie's idea of an outboard.
    If you want bang for the buck, for $30 gets you a Behringer BDI21.
    You'll get a lot more tonal and practical flexibility than you you would with an onboard pre on your Squire. Tonally the BDI21 has been compared favorably to the Sansamp ($190), and will give a big boost in sound with much more control than your onboard tone knob. You get active treble and bass, plus presence, drive and a decent tube emulation. Of course if you want to spend more there's better outboards around. Another idea is a compressor - that will give you some punch and consistency of sound. I think can do better than trying to beef up your Squire.

7. I was reading the post and was interested, so I googled in Behringer BDI21 and it appears no one online sells it.. Maybe its discontinued.

8. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I would agree that bass isn't worth pouring more money into. Also a pre-amp isn't going to add punch, its going to take the current sound and make louder and let you tweak the tone. If you really want a pre-amp get an external one that at least you can use on your next bass.

To get more punch you can play with right hand technique. Try play over the pickup or nearer the bridge where you can dig in a bit more. Also your speaker setup on your amp has to do with punch. 10's are punchier than 15's.

I would say you've done what you can by changing PUP's. Save your money till you can move up to another bass.

9. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida