1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Preamp in my Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rolleharris, Mar 19, 2008.

1. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    I need to do something about my Peavey Cirrus. I like the way it feels and plays. I like the way it sound acoustic but i dont like the sound of it when it is amplified. So i have figured out that the problem is the preamp. I dont like the way the EQ controls behave and i am now thingking about getting a new preamp for it. So now i need some help. What preamp do u guys think my Cirrus needs??

2. MSIMSBASS

MSIMSBASS

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm thinking about the Glockenlang in my Cirrus BXP. But mine sounds great!! I really
    enjoy the sound of the existing preamp. I am just wanting to see how the Glock 3 band
    preamp sounds, and how much better it make the bass. Now I have heard this preamp
    in two different basses and it really impressed me there is a warmth that it provides with
    a certain low end tightness. Good luck man.

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I've always felt the cirrus sounded best w/ the onboard eq set flat.

4. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Mine sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO CHANGES NECESSARY TO MY EARS-EXCEPT FOR STRINGS!!!!!!!!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    +1. The blend has more of a profound effect, IMO. More than a handful of owners, though, have upgraded to the Millenium pre with sweepable mids. IIRC, its a fairly inexpensive modification.

Riis

6. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Is your Cirrus an US or BXP? They have the same pups, but use a different pre. The US pre (regular or custom shop version) is a big improvement over the BXP.
    If your bass isn't an US model from the custom shop you might want to install the custom shop Cirrus (US Millennium bass) pre. It's a three band with sweepable mids that most people are happy with when they make the switch. It also only costs something like $55 in parts and the only modification needed to install it is a slight enlargement of the hole for the mid pot to accommodate a stacked mid knob.

7. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden

Its a US Cirrus. Yeah i am thinking about switching to the custom shop preamp with the sweepeble mids

8. +1 to that. I just did that to my USA Cirrus (the preamp died... :bawl:). I was surprised on how inexpensive the new preamp was.

I'm also a big fan of keeping the eq fairly even, but boosted slightly. I actually keep all the eq controls at about the "7" possition. This enables me to hit the front end of my tube pre a little harder and get that slight growl. Plus it lets me utalize the sweepable mids to tweek my tone for the room.

9. mantelclock

mantelclock

Jul 19, 2005
    I don't know how long you've had your Cirrus, or how many different strings you've tried, but I would experiment with different strings or other parts of your signal chain before changing the preamp. The Cirrus preamp even without the mid sweep (which I have on a Millennium +) is extremely versatile, and very sensitive.

10. I've got Cirrus and Millennium basses with both pre-amps, but I still leave them EQ'd flat. I like the natural tone and typically only boost the EQ for additional volume for soloing these days.

11. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Zooberwerx has it right,just get the Millenium preamp.The sweepable mids can make a big difference on the tone.You'll have to change knobs too but the preamp's under $60 so with the knobs it still won't cost much.

12. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I thought the preamp was the weak point of the cirrus that I tried.