New Preamp In Which Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JCsuckybass, Sep 4, 2010.

1. JCsuckybass

JCsuckybass

May 19, 2007
    Hey Everyone. I am about to put a new preamp in one of my basses but I am having a tough decision about which one to put it in. I have a Spector Legend 5 and a Marcus Miller 4. I don't like the tone pump jr. in my spector, and the marcus is all stock and from the research i have done it is a good idea to change the preamp in it anyway. I have decided to go with a John East preamp for either bass I choose, and if I choose the marcus I will probably add some nordstrand NJ4SEs as well. The spector currently has EMGHZs. Do you guys have any recommendations? I would appreciate it if you could give me a little input. Thanks.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    You dont like the tonepump in the spector. So thats the one to get the preamp imo. You may like the emg pups in the spector more once the new preamps in it too.

3. JCsuckybass

JCsuckybass

May 19, 2007
    I don't like either of the preamps. So is it worth it to upgrade a spector legend? I like the feel of both basses, but whichever one I upgrade will be the one I gig with. So the decision is a tough one.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Yes upgrading a spector legend is worthwhile to give best for you sound and just as important, more desireable center freq's for the tone controls. So it comes down to which would you rather gig with. If everything else is equal and it comes down to asthetic and such. Then go by that. Most any bass if its plays very well and give great fit to body is worth upgrading if sounds lacking. Only exception imo would be if its not reasonable to get desired sound due to body wood being opposite whats wanted for sound add. For example if your looking for dark deep tone and have all maple bass. Then isnt worth upgrade to try for such tone since maple is rather treble oriented. Otherwise upgrades are ussually allways good thing.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021