New Preamp Today.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Beets, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The brown truck brought my new bass preamp today. So I hooked everything up and got ready to blast out the "Cry of Love" album. Turn up the gain and master volume.......nothing. OK, something must not be plugged in right. Re-check all the cords, give the bass a thump.....nothing. Except when I turn the gain knob there is a terrible crackling and popping coming out of the speakers. So then I plug the bass directly into the Stewart 1.2, like I have been using it for two years. Sounds beautiful. It sounds so good I have to ask myself why I bought a stinking preamp anyway. Now I remember, to boost my signal for the power amp and for the DI out. So now I'm stuck with a brand new, fresh out of the factory sealed carton, defective piece of crap. I put a call in to the service department but I probably won't hear back from them until tomorrow. Friday morning it's going back for a refund. Why, oh why, didn't I stick to plan "A", The Avalon U5? :meh:
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    So what was this unit you bought?
  3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I don't want to give out the name until I've given the service department a chance to send me another unit. These things happen. If a replacement is on the way by Friday, then all will be good. If not, then there will be plenty of time to slam the company and their products later. ;)
  4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    OK, so this morning I called up the online store and explained the DOA preamp. They said they would contact the factory and see what to do. And since it was dead from the git-go they would probably send me a new one. Wouldn't that be nice. After all, this unit has not even played one stinking note. So after a while the store calls me back and gives me a number at the factory to call. Great, now we're really getting somewhere. So I call XXXXX in sales and he says that I need to talk to XXXX out in the shop. So then I get his voice mail and leave my name and number like the sales guy said. Now comes the waiting time. If I don't hear back from the factory by, say........two o'clock PDT then I will have to call them back and start the whole process over. I happened to check the return policy at the place where I ordered the preamp, and guess what? Suppose I just want to return the defective piece of crap and get my money back? Sorry, 20% "restocking" charge. Oh well, I'd better go back and sit by the phone for the factory to call back. :meh:
  5. That stinks bro. I hope they get this thing resolved for ya with a quickness.
  6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Well, I sat here all afternoon waiting for the service department to call. No call. So I called again and left a message about the DOA bass preamp. Maybe the service department down at the factory is busy for a reason. Maybe they do a lot of warrantee work? It doesn't matter, tomorrow this thing is history. I don't want to send a brand new unplayed unit in to the repair shop to be fixed up. That's why I bought a "new" one. So this burned out piece of crap is going back tomorrow. It's such a shame though. I never got to play a note out of it. And it's such an attractive unit with those red knobs. And I'll have to do without the Sonic Maxamutor. :meh:
  7. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Quite frankly, I think it's a bit soon to start knocking the manufacturer or the seller. Always a chance that UPS is the culprit here by banging it around during shipment. I would be a little more assertive (without getting ugly; that never gains you anything) with the seller. I usually manage to get good results that way. Simply explain that you have a reasonable expectation that what you ordered should be delivered in usable condition. If the problem is damage during shipment, the seller is the shipper/insurer and it should be their situation to deal with; not yours.

Edit: Even if it was not damaged during shipment but is a defective item, it is still up to the seller to deal with. Had it gone bad after you got it then maybe it's a warranty thing but that's not the case here.
  8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I blame it on the brown truck.
  9. OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    You are not alone. I bought one of those last year. The "T" version. Unpacked it, plugged it in and "pop", then nothing. Called the distruibutor and with his agreement took the lid off. Now I live in the UK and to be fair it was fitted with the correct UK power cord and connector (230 volt, 13 Amp) but the power transformer was still set to 115-volt. Result - Bang!!

A replacement arrived. This one worked but could not handle the hot signal from a Bongo. Then in the winter the nice red tipped aluminium caps fell off all the knobs - differential contraction of plastic and aluminium in the cold of my garage or just insufficient superglue. They decided to swap-out the whole unit. God knows why.

A third one arrived. Eventually after several emails I got a response to my input overload problem. Apparently there was a mod which involved changing some resistors and removing a couple of caps. Also I read on this forum that changing the tube to a JAN 5751 would help. It all worked and to be fair it has performed faultlessly ever since. I think I've done about 40 gigs with it so far this year and no problems.

OK, I have a good unit but what a painful way to get there. Whatever happened to good old-fashioned quality control or is the company, like so many, driven by monthly and quarterly targets and billings, and sod the customers?
  10. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    If it's the Maxomutor, PM djnylonpants here at TB, he's the product mgr. for that line. He'll probably be able to help you out.
  11. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I had a pre-amp from that same manufacturer many years ago. I think it was the 383. It was horrible sounding. Utter crap. I appreciate you posting Joe, I won't even consider this brand in the future.
  12. I have the solid state version. I got it a couple of months ago, and from the get go it could not handle the signal from my single pickup, all passive bass. I could not get the gain past 9 oclock (about 1/4 power) without a horrible clipping noise comming out (not distortion, but ugly clipping that sounded like my speakers were about to blow up). I emailed a service manager guy asking about a mod to fix this, he said there is, so I sent the unit in. It took a couple of weeks. I don't see much difference apart that I get the same gain from the active and passive input. I think all they did was wire the passive input to the active input. The bass clipped in the active input too (which is supposed to be about -10db than the passive one).

It does have a fairly nice tone! but right now it's just gathering dust in the closet.
  13. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    This morning I called US Speaker about the DOA preamp, and it looks like everything is going to work out fine. I just shipped out the bad unit, and BBE is sending me out a new one today. The defective BMAX-T could have been smacked real good or taken a bad bounce on its way into the brown truck. so something could have come loose. At any rate, the guys at US Speaker have been great to deal with and I'm sure the fine people at BBE will come through as well. I'll post an update as soon as my new unit arrives. :) :)
  14. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Glad to hear it and I hope it all works out for you.
  15. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    New BMAX-T arrived yesterday. It took about 20 minutes of knob twiddling to dial it in. EQ flat, compressor off, contour on 2 and Maxamutor set on 5. I have to admit, I was skeptical about the whole Maxamutor process. But it does seem to clean up the bottom end quite a bit. The unit sounds great, don't get me wrong, but I'm wondering if maybe I wouldn't rather have the sterile, frigid, electronic harshness of the regular solid-state BMAX. I guess the best thing to do is to get one of those too. Maybe next month. :D