Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new preamp tube for Eden? suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dirty Road Cola, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Yo Guys,
    My preamp tube in my Eden is getting pretty near dead. I know nothing about tubes, just tube types..so which tube should I replace it with?

Thanks,
    neal

2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    What are your signs of "dead" with the tube? Is the volume fading out, is it microphonic, does it crackle?

About tube choice, I've found that vastly different tubes sound very similar on my WT-300.

Dan

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    do a search on this...there was a pretty in-depth discussion on tubes not too long ago.

4. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Its very microphonic, and it "pings" when the amp is starting up..

What tube would you suggest? I did a serach on the topic, and I know there was a thread a while back, but i couldn't sift through all the other threads to find the correct one :(

Thanks,
    Neal

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    My Eden manual actually says the pinging is normal on start up...they say something about electrons flying around...like ants crawling on a log.

Any good 12AX7 should do...try a NOS RCA or Phillips, for example...see the Triode Electronics website for plenty of tubes and tube info.

Dan

6. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Well, i've played through many other heads..and theres no pinging. So, i'm going to replace the tube just in case, because i'm really not getting the tone I want out of it..and if its not the tube..well, expect a WT-600 to be for sale in the near future ;)

7. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    What happens when you turn the tube blend knob all the way off?

Mine came with an Eden labled 7025 which I'm keeping as the OEM, I've replaced it with a Sylvania 5751.

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Eden uses a cathode follower circuit which is effected little by the tone of the tube. There is a slight difference when changing to a better tube but not the dramatic difference you'll hear in an SWR head.

I'm a preamp tube addict so email me if you like to discuss tube types.

moses@compuvision.net

I'm at work all night but will check email in the AM.

Chuck

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've tried a GT 12AX7 in mine. I like the sound of the Eden 7025 that came in it better. I just ordered a new tube, and they sent me a Ruby 7025 for $15. Save yourself $7.50 and just buy the Ruby 7025, if you like the Eden sound. I compared the physical appearance of the Eden and Ruby 7025's, and they look identical. Both look much different inside than a 12AX7.

10. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

A lot of newer companies us Sovtek 12AX7WA tubes, and I believe Eden does too. Mine had one. I experimented around and there is no big difference.
    I setteled on the JJ Tesla 12AX7A. It is a little lower gain and a little darker sounding, taking some of the clickey sound out. It cost me $9.

11. bunkaroo

bunkaroo

Apr 25, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Resurrecting an old thread here...

I've got a '95 Eden WT-300. Never replaced the tube. (Hell, never even had the thing open before.) From what I've read the thing takes a single 12ax7 preamp tube. Lately I've noticed that it just doesn't seem to have the fullness and impact it once did. Would a worn out tube account for this? I do get some crackle at startup. I'm using it through an Eden D410XLT.

Also, I've thought about doing the upgrade Eden offers specifically to get the higher RMS and compressor defeat. Anyone done this?

Thanks for any info!

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i actually have experience on this one
    my guitar player is a tube nut so when the tube in my wt-400 failed we tried a bunch of them
    my amp was made in 97 and the chinese made tube sounded the most like the original
    using a soviet tube gave a warmer fatter sound but it didnt cut as well
    eventually we settled on using a chinese one
    remember, they only make tubes in a few places so brand isnt as important as country of origin - most tube sellers in the states slap their name on the same tubes

13. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    I might be wrong, but isn't the 12AX7 the same tube used in the Hartke 3500 type preamps? For pure speculation's sake (especially considering I don't have one ;)), would it be possible to swap tubes and create a different sound? If so... that would really open a lot of possibilities for any tube preamp, assuming it can change the sound significantly.