1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Precision Bass - AVRI '63 (Sonic Blue) or AVRI '58 (White Blonde)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Vee, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    I am going crazy trying to decide over these two. This will be my only bass for a while - I'm getting back into playing after many years. I am not that experienced and will be giving myself lessons starting in fall. I like La Bella flats on my bass and love the Jamerson style.

My sensible side says get the 63 - it's the quintessential P-bass. It has the Jamerson sound (and many others.) The sonic blue is gorgeous, however, I just don't like rosewood fretboards really. Compared to the 58, it seems a bit boring.

58 - I like everything about it but is the sound classic P-bass? I may even consider having it finished in Burgundy Mist as soon as it arrives. Love that one piece maple neck - it just feels so much more raw and connected.

Thoughts?

2. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Hi Mike,

Just saw your thread and thought I'd leave this here:
    NBD! 2017 Fender AVRI 63 P -- Sonic Blue

I'm sure either bass will suit your needs but I'd say the '63 although I'm probably a bit biased ;)

3. Thwack

Thwack Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Seattle
    Buy the one you are most excited by. They will both do the job equally well.

Tbone76 and Gnal like this.
  4. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    Get the one that you are more attracted to. If you prefer the maple board (and ash body of the white blonde 58), go that route. Both will give you "P" tone it will just be different flavors of awesome.

Is there any way you can play both side by side before purchasing?

Good luck!

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  5. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Nope no way possible. Let me ask u this.. does the rosewood on the 63 have that super new, sterile look of the American standard type fretboard?

6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Both are sexy colour ! Get both .