SOLD (New Price: $1500) Bossa BUS6: Japanese Goodness

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Folds, May 1, 2022.

1. Folds

Folds Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    A beautiful Bossa BUS6 string that's just a real piece of craftwork. I believe these started at around $3,000 when they were new.

Bossa was the brand of Japanese luthier Toshio Setozaki who I believe left the Japanese brand Tone to start Bossa. He no longer builds and I *think* the BUS6 was his last design, a designed-six from the ground up that sounds, plays and sits beautifully.

Sound-wise, I'd describe it as a hi-fi. Very transparent and clear but warmer than my old MTD. Great slap machine.

The top is a beautiful piece of bubinga, I believe, on an ash body. 18mm string spacing on an adjustable black Hipshot bridge and Gotoh tuners with a brass nut. 24 frets on a three-piece maple neck with a cocobolo board, with beautiful abalone fret markers. Weighs in at 9.9oz and ships with a high-quality Gator softshell.

I believe this very bass can be heard in this video:

Trade interests: fretless 5 (or possibly 6 with 18mm spacing or less). If you think you have something really enticing though, don't hesitate to try me. Buyer pays insured shipping, though local pickup is doable as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    Ash Mo, Steve88, NigelD and 4 others like this.
  2. sfbabali

sfbabali

May 11, 2009
    France
    Wow.
    Does remind me of my old Tune 6. Japanese production top of the line as usual.
    Glws.

Folds likes this.
  3. Bassistik

Bassistik

May 15, 2013
    Yeah, Bossa & Japanese Tune basses share same electronics

Folds likes this.
  4. Maulimal

Maulimal Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    What kind of trades are you interested in

Folds likes this.
  5. Folds

Folds Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Trade interests: fretless 5 (or possibly 6 with 18mm spacing or less). If you think you have something really enticing though, don't hesitate to try me. Buyer pays insured shipping, though local pickup is doable as well.

6. Folds

Folds Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Posting the response to a couple of questions I received.

"After a bit more research, I believe the finish was sanded down-- and rightly so, in my opinion. It feels great, quite similar to my mid-90s Lakland 44-94, if you've ever played one. There's an old BUS6 listing from Ishibashi that appears to show the finish on the back of the headstock was uniformly applied, but also perhaps that it wasn't the most durable as it seems to have worn through on that bass around the second position.

(Bossa BUS 6 Natural [10/27] | Reverb)

The truss rod cover is actually not attached to the bass at all. It appears to be a custom mod where someone took a nice piece of wood, finished it with softly-edges and attached a nub on the unfinished bottom that nestles in the truss rod slot to keep it in place. Easily removed with no issues if the strings are taken off, but a cheeky little design that keeps it in place otherwise."

feschyn likes this.
  7. Folds

Folds Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Updated with correct string spacing.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  8. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Lawyer and Hobbist Bass Maker
    Love it! What a great deal on one of the last builds made by this luthier!

Folds likes this.
  9. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    pm sent

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    This is guaranteed to please someone who wants a hi-fi but warm bass and man, Bossas are killer if you can find them. Boutique.

Folds and MoonDoggy like this.