New pricing for DBX Subharmonic synthesizer. You ALL need this box, trust me.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Oct 8, 2002.

1. I just wanted to bring this box to everyones attention once more...All the gear that I've had..all the cash spent looking for "my" sound; the DBX 120XP is the best thing anyone could do for your rig IMO. I have tried so many different boxes, band-aids, enhancers, etc.. but really, you'd be hard pressed to find a more simple and effective way to fill out your tone. Apparently, the older style models are all being marked down to make room for the newer 120A (same unit, different panel styling) I have seen them for as little as $199 or _less_ on the 'net; cheaper than many of todays stompboxes? just need to trust me on this one? Polyphonic, amazing, as subtle or over-the-top as you like. Better than any of those artificial, hyped distortion boxes (ie. Aphex, etc.) I now know how essential this unit is after finally nailing down that other "holy grail" the Alembic SF-2. It's great but the DBX is all I need, honest.
    I think many of you know of "affinity" (addiction more like it!) for effects in general. I'm hoping you'll take heed when I tell you to buy it now! You'll thank me later!

Another thread on this;
  2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Mind turning me on to where I can get a good price via PM or email? just in case you don't want to let it out...
  3. Just do a Google search? You'll find that all the regular places have 'em marked waaay down. (ZZounds, MF..etc)
  4. All sorts of places now sell them at $199.

Funny.. eBay buyers are paying that much for used boxes.

5. I for one love Ebay. People get so whipped up during an auction, they seem to lose any sense of perspective, often bidding like a crazy person. Ah, but the market dictates right?
    I don't know anything about the new. I suspect it could be "cheapened." I have seen the 120XP for $179 new somewhere..? Hard to go wrong at these prices I'd say.
  6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I see the pricing everywhere.

Now mad sub: how do you think a 120xp compares to the sub harmonizer in Ashdown amps? They seem to serve the same purpose, except for the polyphonic part, but I really think the Ashdown might do that too. If it will be almost as good as the DBX, I might as well just put that money towards a head (that I need anyway) that has a footswithchable feature that's similar.

What do you think?
  7. Well, I would have to assume that any dedicated rack unit is probably going to better performance specs than a scaled down version in a head. The DBX is used in mixdown situations and live with an entire mix pumped through it so the fidelity is there. I have yet to hear if the Ashdown in mono or what..haven't got a straight answer on that one yet. And seriosuly...this thing is now cheaper than most of all my stompboxes?? Well worth the risk I'd think! Once you've heard a DOD FX25 set for dub with the DBX...bliss.
  8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Mad Subwoofer - what benefit would this have for a four-stringer that plays pretty generic rock, blues and pop? And will it toast my Bags?

I'm serious - I don't know squat about this type of device, but you give strong praise...
  9. Sub harmonics are benificial to all musical situations imo; for those of us that like to make a cut without being too abraisive or banging the hell out of our basses. I'm thinking of getting some sort of low frequency expander myself. I like a keyboard like tone, lots of smooth, slightly modulated bass. I've noticed a really interesting effect when I add in a muted half note or ghost note while playing at faster tempos while pushing 30Hz on my amp, it gets an underlying bass drum feel. I like it
  10. Well, like I have mentioned B4; it can be as subtle or over the top as you like. It adds serious beef and will help to give your tone a "wider" sound IMO. Some rigs are voiced deeper than others? My 400+ sounded huge, my M-2000 doesn't. It was THE missing ingrediant for me? I wouldn't play w/o mine now. I guess if you were happy with your current st-up then don't sweat it?
    Look here for more opinions;
  11. I don't like this "pseudo-bass" stuff. I care more for a real subwoofer system, that just reproduces the lows of my bass. The dbx just pumps up the bass or shifts it; all to be able to use a bass-light amplification system.

My view on things.

The dbx thingy is a lot cheaper, though.
  12. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Hey Subby, You use a fx25 or a fx25B?
  13. Well, that was kinda my thought as well until I finally scored my Alembic Super Filter. I figured my time with the DBX would come to an end at that point; it didn't. The sound is far from synthesizes a tone a full octave below the one you are playing, adds huge fundamental and blends well? My system is far from being "bass-light"...The DBX is most useful I'd say in beefing up the fundamentals of my instrument; 30hz, 40hz..etc.
  14. I'm not looking at the dbx as a substitute for real subwoofers. My need is for two signals, an octave apart, for those times when the sound is real thin.

We did an outdoor gig last week without our guitar player. My bass, drums, and a flute/sax, gets real thin sounding. I figure the dbx sould have added another octave of "material".
  15. It does. I wouldn't think of it as any sort of "substitute" either.
  16. pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    I'm pretty interested in the DBX 120, but how does it work with a 4x10 speaker cab? I'm guessing you
    might get the full effect of the subharmonics if you are using a 15", and not 10"s........????........
  17. The dbx specs say it goes down to 26 Hz, which will beat hell out of the typical 4x10 cab. The Eden XST might fare a bit bitter, but I'd bet more on an Acme to handle the lows. The tipoff is the cab with the lowest (least) SPL sensitivity rating.

10s are nice for the punch, but they don't move much air, nor do they have resonant frequencies around 26 Hz. It's going to be difficult to design a tasty SBB4 vented alignment without using subs.

IMO, 26 Hz is the playground for true subs. The 10" kiddies should sit on the sidelines and watch.

18. Andy Lewis actually told me to *never* pump synths, serious sub filters or octavers through his cabs; said they would pop like balloons (not actual words but you know what I mean.) I use the first frequency range 36-56 and blend the lower in _very_ judisciously. Works fine with my EB-MM HD212's; my lower fundamentals just sing.
  19. Andy would know, he's the engineer. I suspect he has the Acme tuned higher than the bottom range of the synths, which is why the drivers will blow out as a consequence of no acoustic loading.

If somebody really wants to play down low, they just have to have subs designed to handle the job. The dbx box would destroy the Eden D410XLT I recently had on the bench. That cab is tuned at 44 Hz, and would die a fast and painful death if exposed to the dbx box.
  20. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Can you use it to add more beef to the higher strings (eg. G and C)? I'm guessing that with an M-2000, I could add some beef with the DBX, and then set the effects frequency knob to the highs.