1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Problems on my New Bass

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by SirFunk, Feb 19, 2003.

  1. SirFunk


    May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Hi There,

    I have a fairly new upright bass here, i got it around september '02, and just now (about 10 minutes ago) i noticed some new problems (atleast i think their new, they could have, however been there since i got the bass). I was wondering if you guys think their very severe, and if their self-fixable, or if i should rush it 2 hours to the nearest lutheir.

    1.) if i were to draw a curve across the top of the bass, from edge to edge, in the middle. The right F-hole is below the arc of the curve (depth wise). The rightmost side of the right F-hole seems to be sort of "sunken" into the bass. The left f-hole seems to be right on the "curve".

    2.) Down by the endpin, 1" in one place and maybe 1/2" in another place, the seam seems to be separating.. maybe wide enough to fit a fingernail in.

    Are these problems serious? could i just put some wood glue in the open seams and clamp it w/ rags under the clamps (to not scratch the bass) overnight? IS the thing w/ the f-hole normal or ok?

    Any help on these topics would be greatly appreciated.. I've got 3 college auditions coming up that i NEED this bass for, i dont' want it falling appart next week.

    i can supply pictures if it would help.

    Jeff Utter
  2. It doesn't sound like anything to be too concerned about. It's not unusual for the f hole on the soundpost side to dip in a little especially this time of year. It's possible that you may need a soundpost adjustment or possibly a new, slightly longer soundpost, but it's not an urgent problem. The seam separation is something you should take to your local luthier (at least for the first time). He (or she) can show you the proper type of clamps and glue to use in case you want to do it yourself later.

Share This Page