1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New product range of Trace Elliot.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by babuska, Nov 22, 2006.

1. babuska

babuska

Nov 14, 2005
    Finland
    Hi, my bands bassplayer has the SWR sm-400, Avatar Neo 410 cab and downtuned Gibson T-bird, but she´s (yes, female) not happy with the sound. It´s too sterile, and lacks the edge and growl. Also I think that it don´t fit well in our bands sound, we use downtuned and distorted guitars.
    We tried to find a perfect bass amp for us, and we went to a local music stores and tested Mesa-Boogies, Ampegs, even Marshalls tube basshead, and finally we found Ashdowns ABM EVO-500, that skyblue one, the most satisfying.
    After that we were practising short period, using borrowed gear, and the bass amplifier was a small Trace Elliot combo. We liked it so much that I started to search a TE head, with our Avatar cab.
    I found out that TE has a new product line now, and I want to ask is there anyone who has experiences about the new TE heads, AH 500-7 and AH 1000-12? Especially in comparison against Ashdowns EVO heads. And, we are adding an Avatar neo 212 cab to our bass rig, so question is: Ashdown or Trace Elliot head on top of the Avatar stack?

2. the new trace stuff is good stuff. it's designed by the same guy who did all the old stuff back in the day. i got to help him test it a little bit in the lab doing some of the crest amp destruction tests.

robb.

3. Ste_m3

Ste_m3

Mar 26, 2006
    Northwest UK
    i played through a new trace rig at a gig last week, All i can say is dont be afraid to knock off some of the lows, these things very easily verge on boomy if your not careful. but i guess thats a compliment in disguise! its bass your after,right? :smug:

4. Zakk007

Zakk007

Jun 27, 2006
    The current designer of the new TE gear Paul Stevens was essentially a tea boy back in Traces heyday, he's never designed a product range before, and from the looks of the new stuff I doubt he will again.

5. babuska

babuska

Nov 14, 2005
    Finland
    I don´t care about the outlook so much, the SOUND is essential, and I have heard that Paul Stevens has a good reputation as a circuit designer.
    BTW, the new TEs look gorgeous, IMHO!

6. Zakk007

Zakk007

Jun 27, 2006
    The first shipment of the new Trace Elliots were subject to a worldwide recall a couple of weeks after their launch for various faults, take from that what you will. :meh:

7. The Guy who designed the old Trace gear certainly isn't there now as he currently designs Ashdown gear!
    BTW did you know that Trace tried to lay claim to the original Ashdown designs claiming that they were done while the guy was still at Trace?

8. Zakk007

Zakk007

Jun 27, 2006
    Thats an urban legend. After Mark Gooday left Trace he couldnt work within the MI for a year due to the non compete clause in his contract. Ashdown was concieved and designs done during this time. Also if you actually look and listen at the old traces and early ashdowns they are very different/sounding amps.

9. babuska

babuska

Nov 14, 2005
    Finland

But how does new TEs sound in comparison against Ashdowns?

10. I'm only going on what Mark Gooday told me himself during the initial months of Ashdown coming into production; so I guess he must have started the Urban Legend himself.
    Of course they look and sound different they were intended to, just the same as Leo at Musicman & G&L; my G&L L2500 looks and sounds nothing like my Stingray 5 and neither of them sounded like my 1965 Fender Jazz.