1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Project Arriving Today

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NetRngr, Dec 20, 2017.

1. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Just received notification that the new project will be arriving today! MusicMan style DIY kit from Solo Music Gear . I had never heard of these guys before but one of the guys who has helped me through the process of learning the correct way to finish guitars speaks very highly of them and has received a couple of kits to profile on his YouTube channel.
    He recommended them to me so I decided to give them a shot. Will post pics of the process as I move through the build. Thinking about a driftwood color for the body with an oiled neck.
    Will be replacing the cheapo pickups with a Seymour Duncan replacement for sure. Will need to look at the tuners etc once I get into the box. Crappy strings will be replaced with EB Slinkies of course. ;)

2. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
  3. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Opened the box and wow. Very nice neck pocket cut. Solid connection that when put together w/o the screws will support the weight of the body when lifting the neck slowly. Have a EMG MM pickup and pots etc on the way and some EB strings. everything else looks and feels good but will keep my eyes on the tuners as you have to use those to find out how good they are. Took pics and will update when I get them off the camera.
    Body has no blemishes I will need to sand down the body and will see what the underlying grain structure looks like under the sealer which will determine if I go with the driftwood stain or an opaque color. More updates to come.

4. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Update:
    Sanding under way on the body prepping for a driftwood colored stain. Neck has been sanded, frets leveled, crowned and polished. Also went ahead and gave the fret board its first taste of oil as well. While I was sick I managed to put some shielding tape on the bottom side of the pickguard as well. Pics below:
    20180106_142641. 20180106_142915. 20180104_005829.

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Nice clean foil job. But it has no function. There is nothing to shield under the pickguard. You only need to provide shielding where there are electronic components, and the only component under the pickguard on a MM is the pickup. The pickup cavity is (or should be) shielded on the sides and bottom - you can't shield the top. And the channel the pickup wires go through should be shielded, but the pickguard is doing no shielding at all.

Edit: I am not being critical here. But lots of people put shielding where it does no good at all. I am just trying to clarify for those who are now wondering if they should put foil on the underside of their pickguard.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    basscapes and 96tbird like this.
  6. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Understood. I just shield every pickguard regardless. Started with restoring a few old Strats that did require pickguard shielding and just never stopped. All cavities are likewise lined with copper tape and grounds are soldered in place in the cavities.
    Habits man. ;)

7. Seriously intrigued.

The only real turnoff for me is the bass wood body (had both a Fender P and J with them and didn't find the tone to be that exciting).

I await your report (and maybe a sound clip once you are done?)...

8. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Surely, Well the best I can with the phone haha. Hell I do need to invest in some mics who knows. Got the body sanded to 320 yesterday and noticed that this introduced a bit of play in the neck pocket once I removed the sealany they put on the body. I did however decide to take it back a little more and use some veneer to tighten it back up. Herein lies the problem and a solution...
    The body is of course basswood at this price point. That in itself didn't bother me too much but have you ever tried to find basswood veneer? I have and if it exists it is as rare as a unicorn. Now for the solution:
    If you go to Wal-Mart, yes I said Wal-Mart, and go into the crafts section you will find jumbo popsicle sticks. Hold on go with me here. These popsicle sticks are pretty thin and made of... basswood! sand them down a bit, slap on some Tightbond II wood glue and clamp. once the glue has set up, trim and sand. You seriously cant tell where the shims are and I can now finish sand the body and gradually fit the neck til it is, as they say in The Shawshank Redemption, Tight as a Virgins Honeypot.
    Ill post pics of the final sand and stain asap.

9. subd

10. Any chance of getting a pic of the body without the pickguard? I’m interested in doing one of these with no guard and I was wondering what I’d have to work with.

11. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Sanding and fitting of the neck pics:
    NeckPkt1sm.
    One side of the fitted neck pocket. Nice and tight.
    NeckPkt2sm.
    The other side.
    stucktogether1sm.
    this is the bass held together with only the wood friction of the neck joint. I am able to pick the entire body up with no screws. No slippage what so ever.
    Had several packages waiting for me when I got home yesterday. One was a quart of Behlen Teak Oil for the neck finish the other was my set of bass nut files from StewMac.
    Gonna stain it Carbon Gray:
    Pro-Top-Carbon-Marine-Wood.

Mr. Business likes this.
  12. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Well, the routing of the pickup area is considerably larger than the actual pickup. i suppose you could add material in and reform the area but this will pretty much require an opaque finish to hide the grain differences.
    I applied some of the carbon gray stain last night and have a look at the moment that resembles a deck that has been out in the elements a few years aka more antique than driftwood.(see attached) Gonna hit it with the sander this weekend and see about getting a couple different shades of grey working and evening out some splotches.
    firststain.

Mr. Business likes this.
  13. I noticed that. If I did do it now, I would prob use the guard.
    Stains lookin good!

14. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Well this weekend I considered hitting the body with a transparent blue topcoat. Went so far as to actually go get the paint. I wanted it to have a 3d type effect so I sprayed a base coat of poly that was then to be oversprayed with the blue but once I got the first coat of poly on and the wood darkened up a bit I couldn't bring myself to do it.
    20180114_124441. BodySmall.
    Also finished the neck with 3 coats of teak oil. O M G that thing feels great! After it dried I buffed it out and hit the playing surface lightly with some 4/0 steel wool.
    neck. hsmall.
    Also went ahead and installed the copper foil shielding in the cavities as well.
    almostsm.
    Still have to do the back and buff out some imperfections, then its assembly time!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Matt Liebenau likes this.
  15. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Update:
    Replacement Pickup has arrived!
    pickupsm.
    Thanks to LesFunk being awesome I now have a factory Sub4 bridge to put on it. (Thanks for the awesome deal man!)
    Should arrive Saturday!
    factorybridge.PNG
    The final coat of poly went on nicely so all that will be left is to put it together, set it up, and let it rip!
    bodysmall3.
    Seriously I cant wait. Feel like a little kid on Christmas morning.

Gilmourisgod and Matt Liebenau like this.
  16. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    You may get to learn a little fretwork too, pretty common on kits, but you may luck out. Nice job.

17. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    First thing I did was check the frets and while most were ok a few were a tad high. I did a full fret job on them to level everything out and then recrowned them and polished.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  18. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Well the bridge I got from LesFunk didn't make it in on Sat as they said it would.. seriously USPS why does something that comes from FL. have to go to NC and be sent back down to SC? That said I couldn't wait to see how it worked. I mounted everything up and put on the bridge they sent.... Doh! Pickguard doesn't fit correctly. I was a bit put off with the white pick guard anyway, so I ordered a Brown Tort pickguard. (because ya gotta have the tort and I think the brown will look better)
    I marked and trimmed the white pickguard to fit and instead of using the EB Cobalt Flatwounds I got to go on it just strung it up with the crappy strings they sent. Did a setup on it and went to playing. Holy hell this thing plays easy and sounds great through my Eden EC10! Here is a pic of the semi finished bass. Can't wait to get the bridge/pickguard on and string the flatwounds.
    finished.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  19. Do theses have a belly cut on the back?

20. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Sweet, these have intrigued me on several occasions, almost pulled the trigger on the TB kit a couple times, may have to carry through next time...