1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new project bass day - 85 roadstar ii/blazer bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thetragichero, Mar 3, 2020.

1. picked this up for less than the gas it took to drive to the guy's house. appears to have been painted (body, pickguard, bridge) with house paint. my only concern is whether or not the truss rod works. besides that I'll strip it, refinish, rewire, bring this back to life

what color should it be? 20200303_125724_HDR.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Thegrandwazoo

Thegrandwazoo Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    Depends on what the wood under the paint looks like. It would be cool in natural if the grain looks good. Can you get aftermarket pickguards for them, I wonder?

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    It’s an 85 RB630.

This is the 1984 color lineup.

900B557A-110B-4943-AFC7-43B709812DFA.jpeg

My 1984 RB650 is a perfect match to the white on the right.

I have an 86 Black RB650 that has black painted neck and rosewood fretboard.

murphy, tindrum and thetragichero like this.
  4. i knew y'all would solve the case for me
    it appears this may have started life as a black bass
    1583290682925.jpg

p pickup measures 9.88k dcr so that should be good
    man they must've stripped this with a belt sander or something

tindrum and charlie monroe like this.
  5. found some time to take it all apart
    disassembled all the tuners, clean the gunk with denatured alcohol, and hit em with some chrome polish
    looking good

1583894447078.jpg
    truss rod moves so that's a good sign

6. stripping off the horrible refinish with heat gun and scraper. not terribly concerned about gouging the body as the stock paint was unevenly removed with like 80 grit sander, a rasp, something... there's some bondo in this body's future

1584037908714.jpg

7. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    Dude you seem to have hit the jackpot! I've loved these basses for a while, especially for the headstock design and have not had much luck finding one that wasn't horribly expensive. Hope the restoration goes well!

8. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Great project! I have been looking for one of these for awhile. LOVE those heart-shaped tuner keys! I’d be happy just to find a set of those!

9. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Love the '80s Roadstars. My RB850 has been a trusted companion now for 35 years.

None of the original finishes posted by @charlie monroe float my boat. In honor of the brand's Japanese heritage and the RB630's era, I would go with a Datsun color. I'm personally fond of metallics.

datsun-280z.jpg

DiscoRiceJ, Thegrandwazoo and tindrum like this.
  10. Dubutea

Dubutea

Mar 14, 2020
    That coppertone datsun is nice! But I'd paint the bass hyper orange

11. i like funky colors but at the end of the day stock colors for 'vintage' instruments is more desirable. this started life black so i will refinish it black
    ordered a wilkinson fender-style bridge for this. the bridge had mismatched saddles, was painted over, and gnarly. so brand new shiny chrome bridge with brass saddles (heck they probably would've put something similar on back then)
    i sanded the neck just so the spots on the fretboard that wore through the finish were no longer peeling up. hitting those spots with some yellow and brown dye mixed with poly so they appear the same color as the yellowed lacquer, then will hit with a few coats of poly so that i can buff it to a gloss

charlie monroe and Dubutea like this.
  12. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I love a good Ibanez Roadstar overhaul. @handofseven knows what I'm talking about :thumbsup:
    DSC01903_zpsd33c3db7.JPG DSC02019_zpsa924469c.JPG DSC02008_zps694b7995.JPG
    This era of Ibanez is my absolute favorite. And though this one definitely will require a glut of elbow grease, it seems like you have the skills and drive to make it sweet.
    Good luck with the project!

handofseven likes this.
  13. tindrum

tindrum

May 2, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    I ran across one at Guitar Center last year. It was an early one with the different bar shaped pickup. It was ash with a natural finish. It sounded PHENOMENAL. I wasn't really in the market (if I remember correctly I had just bought something expensive) so I left. I thought about it the rest of the day. I felt like a drug addict that needed a hit! I went back later that day to get it. I already had the story and excuse rehearsed for the Wife. As you can already imagine it was gone. Seriously I still think about that one getting away. One of the nicest basses I've payed in 30 years.

14. IMG_20200124_225519_552.jpg
    this is my 85 rb850 that was my first bass. took it apart, wax potted the pickups, sheilded everything, installed a 2 band preamp, took out the coil cut switches and wired the neck pickup for series/parallel (neck pickup only in parallel mode totally cops that music man sound). replaced the corroded original bridge with a hipshot kickass
    it's knocked off my pbass as my #1 lately

garp and osv like this.
  15. stripped, wood filler in the missing places, sanded back, dust blown off and ready to paint

1584648556394.jpg

just picked up the cheap purple harbor freight gun to replace the husky gun that wouldn't stop leaking

1584648694307.jpg

tindrum likes this.
  16. three coats of waterbased poly with black analine dye mixed in with a bit of hot water and denatured alcohol. first application i thought i mixed too little but this appears perfect. will have to level it out tomorrow but this side may be ready for clear
    back side will get painted tomorrow as well
    1584666051044.jpg

garp and tindrum like this.
  17. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    Wilkinson makes a nice one I put one on my Hard Puncher. Not real pricey either.

18. 4 coats of black dye in poly. those smudges are just from my fingers
    next step is to level sand both sides and hit with more black and poly (this mix way heavier on the poly as the color is already there)
    20200321_085711.jpg

sanded down the house paint off the pickguard. found this before i sanded it off

20200320_154315_HDR.jpg
    sanded 220 320 800 1200 2000 #0000 steel wool and then polished. ain't perfect but it'll do. has some great yellowing
    polished the pickup pole pieces (hex screws, easy peasy no risk metal shavings forever in the pickup), replaced the beat up (gouged and painted) covers with a set i purchased years ago not knowing that some p pickups are slightly different sizes
    rewired with 2x250kA bourns pots, 47nf orange Sprague capacitor from the bin (must've ordered it years ago... what else would i use a big ole 100v capacitor for? i don't believe the hype but it looks cool), and a brand new switchcraft jack. didn't take pictures. I'm hoping i still have the knobs i removed from my rb850

wraub, Thegrandwazoo and garp like this.
  19. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Mine is still stock in the same Royal Violet finish. It was my second bass, only because I traded in my first bass – a Cort P clone – plus some cash to get the RB850.

20. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    My Roadstar II 885 basses and I are watching this with interest...