1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Project Bass! Modulus/Delano content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DennyOnBass, Nov 28, 2010.

1. I have a new bass project I'm working on with Tim Miller from the Great Lakes Guitar Company. Tim is a close friend and we've been talking for a while about having him build a bass for me.

I have a six string Modulus that I never play, and Tim and I have been talking about using the neck as a platform for a new bass, something more in the realm of the Stingray 5 that I've been using for my main bass, but obviously still it's own creature and with some refinements.

Here's my Photoshop mockup.

[​IMG]

The body is based on the MTD American series, although we're planning on beefing up the upper horn and probably contouring the body a little differently. The body will be ash and use the finish as shown. Does anybody know why Modulus doesn't seem to do ash bodies?

What I'm hoping to do pickup-wise is a Music Man styled six string pickup in the bridge and a Jazz styled pickup in the neck position. I'd like to be able to do Parallel/Single Coil/Series, with the neck pickup kicking in when it's in single coil mode. I'm not sure how possible this is. I know that Delano makes a 6 string MM styled pickup, but their six string jazz pickups are apparently dual coil, so there wouldn't be that cancellation of hum, I think.

I'm still not sure about the bridge. Overall, I'm looking for that Modulus clarity with a little more of that Stingray bite. I know it's not going to really sound anything like a Stingray, I just want to head somewhat in that direction.

So, what do you guys think? Cool idea or stupid?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Awesome idea! Good luck with the project.

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Wow.. if it looks anywhere as good as that, itll be spectacular.

4. wmheilma

wmheilma

Jan 5, 2010
    It seems like a shame to take the Modulus apart especially with the prices for new ones being so high. Why not sell it and buy a 5 String Modulus replacement neck and work with that for your custom idea if you don't usually play 6 string?

5. tkcthulu

tkcthulu

Nov 15, 2010
    Calgary, AB
    +1

Can't really sell just the body, but you can sell the whole thing and buy a neck

6. I used to play 6 string exclusively, but my previous Modulus sounded much better than the one I have now. The previous one was stolen or I'd probably still be playing it. I've been playing in a five piece and haven't been doing as much soloing/chordal playing as I was in the past and the five string has been fine, but I'm about to start a funky power trio and will probably benefit from having a six string again.

It isn't like I'm destroying the bass. We aren't altering the neck at all, so I can always have Tim build me a new neck down the line and I can rejoin the Modulus neck to its original body. I won't be selling the body regardless, but before I got it it was already heavily routed/altered/beat up for a MIDI project that never got off the ground.

I'm really not a big fan of the Modulus body shape or I would have contacted Modulus about the possibility of building me a new body.

7. James, how is the Delano on your Bee bass in single coil mode? Is the noise overbearing? I rarely use single coil mode on my Stingray...I'm wondering if there's some way to wire it up to bypass single coil mode and just blend the Delano 6 string jazz pickup with the MM styled pickup in parallel and series mode.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I like it in single coil and it's pretty quiet. It's easy enough to wire it just series/parallel.

9. Cool. I suppose I can always have it wired to include single coil mode and have it rewired if I end up not liking it.

10. Just as a follow-up, we're bailing on using the Modulus neck and doing a traditional wooden necked fiver. I just got a chance to check out the Delano Hybrid system on a bass and decided that it was the direction I wanted to go tone-wise.