1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New project bass, preamp options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Regerror13, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Regerror13

Regerror13

Mar 17, 2012
    So, I have read a few threads and gathered some very keen insights on equipment options and overall tone options for new project bass assembly. All of which were helpful in one degree or another, but I still have some reservations. Please humor me.

The bass neck is a Fender American Deluxe Jazz neck with a rosewood fingerboard and the body is a Fender American Deluxe Precision, alder with a PJ pup configuration. I have selected Seymour Duncan Quarter pounders pups and am looking to purchase a preamp that will give me the same basic Fender AM Deluxe features, passive/active toggle, master volume, pan-pot for pup selection, and a 3 band EQ. So, I am completely leaning towards the Audere 3ZB in an 18volt configuration, since I have a precut battery compartment and all.

Now, I am not married to this idea at all, but since this bass is being built for a punk/modern/alt/classic/metal bar band cover project, I will need to think about changing tones a bit and really want a swiss-army bass that can handle most of what I throw at it and not really sound out of place. I am totally open to hearing about other active or even passive preamps if they sound like a versatile option for me. It would be really nice to cover 60 song evening with one bass. Any thoughts TB?

2. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    I have the drop-in Jazz Audere 3ZB and it's a great preamp, It seems to be great for fixing tones or giving you a little more of something. It's pretty transparent/not coloured so the sound of your pups is what you get.

In your case I'd advise taking a look at a OPB-3 from Aguilar. They are very powerful and capable of more extreme settings than the Audere. This can mean it can sound like crap if you don't think about what you're doing, whereas the Audere won't let you stray far from a good tone.

Also, the John East preamps are spendy but are very flexible, if you have the coin it's a very good option.

As a general rule I'd be looking at something with variable mids, preferably with a pot to determine frequency and another to determine volume. That'll be the best to make a "swiss army bass".
    IMO, YMMV and all that other jargon.

3. Regerror13

Regerror13

Mar 17, 2012
    Tony,
    What a great thought, variable mids and all. I didn't have much time to dig in to the John East preamps, but after my finals this week when I will have more time. The Aguliar looked interesting as well, and was a thought until I saw the 3 mode feature of the Audere...Anyway, thank you so much for the consideration!

4. Regerror13

Regerror13

Mar 17, 2012
    And just because I love options, if I was thinking about a passive option with 3 bands of eq, blend and a master volume, what are some worthwhile circus to consider?