1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New project bass. Washburn B10

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gedwards913, Jun 22, 2016.

1. gedwards913

gedwards913

Apr 4, 2016
    i received a stripped down Washburn B10 4 string bass when I bought a hardshell case. It is missing all electronics except for the bridge ground wire. There's room for 4 pots, or used to be 3 and a toggle if I remember correctly.

I have always played soap at pickups like Bartolini MK1-5s in my Ibanez BTB455qm. I believe that these will use Jazz style pickups from the shape and mounting.

Question time!
    What pickup recommendations would be best suited for this bass in accordance to what I am used to? I saw that Bartolini makes a Jazz style pickup. Anyone have experience with these? Please describe any "noise/him" that they may include as I have read that jazz pickups are noisy.

Another:
    I see the cavities are slanted for the pickups, does this present any problems for current day pickups, as the old ones were the ABT Washburn pickups?

Three:
    Preamp/wiring options/recommendations? I like having a stacked knob for more Mid control. But that's my preference.

image.jpg

Thanks in advance!

2. Coreythebassman

Coreythebassman

Dec 5, 2010
    The bartolini single coils work very well and are pretty quiet. Make sure you take some measurements of the cavities and compare to the specs on their site though, as single coils can all be a little bit different.

The pickups should work fine in the slanted position, as all that really does is compensates for the difference in string rotation from your smallest to largest gauge string.

Finally, the preamp. I am going to assume that you are trying to use the four available pot holes without drilling anymore. You mentioned having a stacked mid knob, which would normally indicate a 4-band eq. Whether you are going to have a blend and a volume or seperate volumes, you would need to have a concentric pot for the mids as well as a concentric pot for the bass and treble to have something like an audere 4 band eq. If you can do without the treble control, you could go with the darkglass tonecapsule which is excellent and has low mid and high mid control, while only being 3-band. that way you could have it wired with master volume, master blend, stacked low and high mid boost/cut, and bass boost/cut.

Sorry for rambling, but hope it helps!

3. gedwards913

gedwards913

Apr 4, 2016
    It does greatly. Thank you for the info!!

I usually always run with both pickups on. Perhaps one volume and the treb, mix with stacked, and the low?

4. gedwards913

gedwards913

Apr 4, 2016
    image.png image.png
    I'm thinking this will do what I want. Thoughts?

5. Michael Gates

Michael Gates

Dec 13, 2016
    I know it has been a few months, but in case you are interested I have a pair of original Washburn pickups from a 1986 ABT10. If you want them, send me your address and I will
    mail them to you.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 26, 2021