New project bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MrBungle3, Dec 22, 2003.

1. MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    Hey everyone. I have decided to try to fix up a few things on my Ibanex SR885. I have read up, and have decided that a new pre-amp is probably in need - but I have a SansAmp Bassdriver DI - so maybe I wont need a new preamp?

Regardless - I need a light bass that I can just throw around on stage - but still have a killer tone (because my show isnt as important as my sound - but I would like it to be). The high strings just seem way too thin - and I am thinking about making this a tenor - E A D G C - so what adjustments would I need to do to make this happen.
  2. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    It sounds to me like your bass is OK, but you'd like a little more from the tone, especially on the high strings.

Have you thought about changing pickups? Also, check the pickups are set a proper distance from the high strings (of course, this affects volume moreso than tone).

Changing the B-string to C? I don't see any adjustment required, other than tuning up and resetting the intonation.

Your website looks good, good photos. I couldn't get sounds from though.
  3. He would be actually changing the B to E, so changing the nut could be needed.. But not necesarily.. I've restrung my SR400 from E A D G to A D G C and D G C F and didn't need to change the nut thanks to the angle of the headstock.
  4. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Before you do any mods on your bass try some different strings out. You would be suprised what a big difference a different gauge or string type will do for your sound.
  5. MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    Dallas is no more! I should change my signature.

Through my research about soundgear basses, most say that the pickups are pretty good, but most people find that putting in an agular (sp?) pre-amp makes the tone ++better++

BUT I am thinking since I just picked up a sans amp bass driver - maybe this might fix my problem. I am in California away from my basses right now, so I will have to try that when I get back home.

I have been wanting to try this adjustment on my 5-string for awhile, so I am anxious to see how it works.