1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Project Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fcleff, May 31, 2018.

1. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    so my same friend who set me up with his 68 Gibson EB0 also left me this little Epiphone bass. It has some obvious mods, like that piece of iron screwed in diagonally across the pickup for some reason (looks? thumb rest?). I’ve never seen a bridge like that. And there is a random screw hole above the knob plate.
    Anyhow, he said I could do what I wanted with it. So I’m going to gut it (are you listening @Nancy1234 ?) and see if I can bring it back to some semblance of glory. The neck seems to be in good shape. The nut needs replacing. The electronics are shot. They get a signal but the hum is louder than the pickup output and the input jack is wonky.
    Anyone think this is worth the trouble I’m about to get into? This is would be a much bigger job than my Yamaha.
    f
    FEA5B62E-B3DB-4600-9580-C979663127DD.jpeg ACCD77CE-A785-4BA1-8971-8A0AA9B0B154.jpeg 50659EA4-6B7F-40B6-837C-5D685554498F.jpeg

Nancy1234 likes this.
  2. Nancy1234

Nancy1234

Feb 9, 2011
    Denver CO
    I’m listening! Please continue ... ;)

fcleff likes this.
  3. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Basywater, Western Australia
    Audiofly In-Ear Monitors And Headphones
    I'd guess this is Korean.

I had a Korean Torch precision bass copy which had that exact bridge.

Restoring this is definitely worth it...if you're like me and can't leave things alone.

For the fretboard, get yourself some Naphtha (Shellite in Australia) and an old toothbrush to clean off the grime!

fcleff likes this.
  4. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I love a good project, especially one like this. My first step, I think, will be to take it apart and clean it up.
    I may replace the bridge but it’s kind of cool looking in an industrial metal sort of way.
    I’m guessing the pups are just standard J style.
    Tuners are in good shape.
    So mostly I’m thinking that it needs a good cleaning, some new electronics, and new input jack, strings, and a setup. Maybe a new bridge.
    I’ll update as it progresses.

f

5. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Nancy1234 likes this.
  6. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Decided to do a matte black distressed finish.
    Ordering electronics soon. May do a hot pink pick guard.
    f 79DF91D5-4FBE-4DD4-8DF7-1837072CDD96.jpeg

ReasonablyHappy and Crusher47 like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That bridge is bone stock Epiphone. Here one on an old Epiphone P bass copy somebody gave me 20 years ago that I stole parts off of for other projects. PM me if you want it. You can have it. It works fine. Jist needs cleaning up.

20180622_190054.jpg

Rock Salad, bholder and fcleff like this.
  8. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Those bridges were all over the place in the '70s and '80s. You'll find them on lots of old Harmony basses, Hondos, some Univox P bass copies, etc. They're solid!

And PLEASE.... No hot pink pickguard. :dead:

bholder and fcleff like this.
  9. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks @two fingers ! I actually have all the stock parts on hand. The bridge I have is a spitting image of yours. I’d never seen one like it until my friend gave me this bass.
    I’m looking forward to getting it back up and running.

f

two fingers likes this.
  10. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Aw come on man. A big pink pg would look dope on this. You know it would! :D
    f

creaturegods likes this.
  11. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. :laugh:
    If I may, I'd like to recommend a *Mirrored* pink pickguard. Check out #10P here: Custom Pickguards

fcleff likes this.
  12. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    drool That’s sweet.
    Do you happen to know which jazz pick guard would be the closest fit to this one? It’s an Epiphone/Gibson but their pick gaurd style don’t seem to match like the Fender styles.
    f

13. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Their "Fender Jazz Bass (22 fret)" template in their pdf catalogue looks really close. The extra-pointy lower horn is the tricky part. They might have an Epiphone template in their archives, it would be worth giving them a call or an email. At worst, you could just trace your pickguard and send it to them via snail mail! I've sent traced templates to both wdmusic and Chandler Music (pickguardplanet.com) with great results.

EDIT: I just checked at Chandler and they have the model listed (Epiphone Accu Bass, J-style, 9 screws) but it does say "Tracing required" so you might have to send a tracing no matter what. It's PG 3074 here: https://www.pickguardplanet.com/pickguards-epiphone-basses/

fcleff likes this.
  14. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    creaturegods likes this.
  15. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Getting closer. Lined the cavities with copper.
    4965C9DA-1FA8-4CF2-84A9-58F9BE6D49E4.jpeg

creaturegods and Crusher47 like this.
  16. jhb138

jhb138

Sep 14, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Hondo has a bridge like that.

17. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    So I’m getting closer to full assembly and setup. New nut installed (may need some more work), pups and pots are installed and wired.
    A7AD57A7-AA40-4C0F-A488-73DB8FBF5D95.jpeg 491067C7-E1CE-4B82-A149-50A2B18B2ED4.jpeg 58DE551F-0BD2-45FB-B021-5D195E16EEC9.jpeg

creaturegods likes this.
  18. That's a lovely little bass.
    I always had a soft spot for that headstock, to me that was the nicest thing about Epiphone basses.
    Good job! :thumbsup:

fcleff likes this.
  19. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    It is done. I had some soldering issues as I’m not very good at it but I got them worked out. I just did the setup (it was my first one) and it plays nice. The bass is a little small for me but it was a project anyway. Pups and pots sound good and are very quiet. This has been a great learning experience. I can’t believe I’ve been paying $100+ for setups. I’m still going to replace the pick guard and get new screws all around. But, for the most part, it is done.
    @Nancy1234
    Now it’s on to the next one.
    0A27A085-A61B-42BF-82DE-9C3E7D3A351B.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  20. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Nice work! I, too, just did my first set-up a couple of days ago and I can't believe I've been paying people to do it til now. Once I worked past the fear of touching a truss rod, it was all fairly simple!

fcleff likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 26, 2021