Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Project - Compact 215 under 50lbs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi guys.

I am working on something for fun... But if it works well, it would be cool to gig with it.

Here it is so far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Happy Easter!

2. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Pretty cool Gabu,

So what are the specs on this cab? What kind of drivers? All the juice man, you've got me intersted, I've bene thiking about trying something like that myself. :cool: :

Peace
    -Ben

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Are you using NEO speakers? I am also interested in the specs, that box looks too small. But 2x15 under 50 lbs, I am very impressed!

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi guys,

Here is some info:

The cab's measurements are 36" Tall, 19" Wide, and 15" Deep. It weighs 38Lbs (so far). It has about 4.4 ft^3 inside volume. The port is 2" x 17.5" x 7" deep. I figured by leaving the port big I could tack on ports to experiment with various sizes.

I am using 2 CTS 15" Speakers. They are model 906084-1. I actually don't know the specs. I have been told these are from the 60s. They weigh 15Lbs for the pair.

My goal is to get a cab with Ampeg-Like tone, under 50lbs, and Giggable volume.

I am trying to decide if I want to tolex, carpet, or paint the ouside now.

5. 15" Beyma NEO drivers weigh just under 12 pounds each.

Add grille, screws, jack dish, handles, carpet, casters.

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've got a 2x15 laying around that is sized alot like that. It's got some old Sanyo stamped frame 15's that have to weigh ~10lbs each, and the cab goes LOW, will not break up at all, loud, and weighs around 60-70lbs. It's only good as a sub though, the mids/highs are not present at all.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No porting? Don't know the specs of the speakers? How are you going to tune it, or is this just a "throw some speakers in there and see how it sounds" crap shoot?

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    It has a bottom-shelf port... look at the 1st pic.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Howdy Eric, It has a 2 x 17.5 x 7" shelf on the bottom. I made it kind of big so that I could tack on pieces of wood to shrink the port as I try out different port sizes.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hmm... That's cool. I wonder if you would be able to add a crossover and a mid to that one. It would be kind of cool if you had enough space to throw a pair of 8" speakers on either side of the two 15"s...It would be a neat clover shaped speaker config too. :D Oh, man... never mind me... I just like new toys. ;)

11. duncbass

duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    I used to have an Acoutic 215 that was pretty small (for a 215). Had casters on one side and a handle on the other so you could just unplug, knock it on it's side and roll away. It was pleanty loud and must have sounded good enough with a GK800RB for me to keep it for 5+ years. I don't know if it was under 50lbs but it was pretty light.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That looks great. You may be making a bunch of them if it works out! :D

-Mike

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Gabu, does the 38 lb weight include the speakers?

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What a great idea. I didn't notice that at first, but it sounds like it will make port adjustments pretty easy.

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I threw it all together and set the handles and casters on top to weigh it... It now weighs 64lbs. I don't know how I miscalculated so much. I also don't know how much weight will be added when I cover it with that bedliner stuff...

So it is looking like under 70lbs instead of under 50lbs. :(

On the other hand, it is pretty darn thunderous... :D I am still trying stuff out but will shoot over some sound samples in a bit.

[​IMG]

16. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    That was just the assembled empy cab with no handles casters, or jackplate.

I see now how I screwed up my math!! When adding the speakers (14lbs) to the cab (38lbs), I added 14+28. :help: Boy that was dumb.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Under 70 is a great accomplishment. I had a 215 loaded with BW's, and it weighed 106 pounds.

-Mike

18. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    heck, my hartke 410 weighs nearly 100. I work matinenance, so the back need a break ever so often. That thing would be nice.

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Oh, no. This is way too much work to do for a living. ;) I would be happy to send drawings out for anyone who wanted to do it though. :)

20. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks. :) I used 3/4" plywood. It is very sturdy and when I play, if I touch the cab, it is not vibrating. Which of course is why I chose that thickness.

But now I am wondering if I could have gotten away with 5/8" plywood. It's just 1/8" thinner, but that should probably shave off about 6lbs, maybe keeping it around 60lbs.