New project. Design critique

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Well I had a lot of fun making my bass bass and am now looking to make a fretted fiver with a bit more conventional styling. I'm planning mostly Maple construction with bloodwood neck stripes and a movengui top. The fingerboard will be bound ebony with probably side position markers only. Villex soapbar pickups with the passive tone control should make it sound very nice. The bridge will be some variation of what I did on the bass bass, but adjustable for intonation since this one isn't fretless. Any thoughts on the style? Likes or dislikes or whatever?

Here's the bass bass if you haven't seen it. The bridge in particular.

2. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'm sorry to say, I'm not a fan of that design. I can't put my finger on it. though...

The lower horn cut-out looks like it could be scooped out deeper and rounded a bit more. It doesn't look deep enough and it doesn't quite flow with the rest of the body's lines as the upper horn's cut-out connects to the neck (IMHO).

Love the fish! A bass bass!

3. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    No need to be sorry, I know my tastes run somewhere between abnormal and bizarre. I'm not expecting everyone to like it and I do appreciate the feedback.
  4. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I think it's kinda cool. I can see how the lines meet in my mind.
  5. I think I would also scoop out the bottom cutaway just a bit. I love the headstock though. It's nice and classy without being boring or square.
  6. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    It looks a little blockish to me :p I think the bass side horn or body needs to be a little more pronounced.

But if you like it, who cares what everyone else thinks?? :D
  7. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx

Interesting! You mean like bring the horn out to the 11th fret or something like that? Or make the waist thinner on top maybe? I'll also try scooping out the lower horn a bit and see how that looks.

Not that I'm trying to make the perfect shape in anyone elses eyes, but it's fun to see what people think of when they see stuff. Sometimes there may be an idea lurking out there that just sits perfectly, so it's fun to run it by folks and see what comes out.
  8. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I meant to arch the curve a little bit more over the 15th fret. Now that you mentioned it, the bass side horn also seems to end around the 13th fret at the moment, I'd extend it to the 12th :)
    I'd also reduce the cutaway on the bass side - I'm not sure how you're gonna construct it, but I think you need to pay the neck joint a little more attention.

You could make the bottom part of the bass (where the arm rests) a little fuller too :)
  9. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    mate, i love it
    good stuff
  10. I like it. Kinda reminds me of a Fernandes Tremor.
  11. yeah, i was thinking fernandes as well...i think it is cool.
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Don't really like it much, but not bad- the Warwick Buzzard is definately uglier.
  13. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I like the horns a lot, but I don't like the bottom of the bass quite as much. I think maybe if you rounded out the bottom design to curve back outwards around the area of the knobs (to keep that shape) it might be a little cooler.