1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New project - new direction (country content)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by richntiff, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Not really sure why I'm feeling the need to post this, but hey, here it goes lol...

A drummer friend of mine and I reached out to a keys/guitar player to see about starting up a cover band playing mostly 90's- to current country. Yes, modern country, bro-country, label it as you like Keys/guitar guy is all over it - so we start looking around for singers - we are looking for one male lead and one female lead. If they can also play an instrument - bonus points. We have 4-5 very credible leads already, so we have started trying to get together and see how everyone fits. Drummer and I both sing, but prefer to just do a few leads each night. We are going for variety - mixing in some rock, 80's pop, up to current top 40 that fits in. I've seen country bands drop into Uptown Funk and it KILLS.

My current band - standard classic rock/blues ad nauseum. If I never play ZZ Top, Cream, Bad Company or Wilson Pickett again, I'm fine with it. Seriously very tired of that whole 'scene' (which doesn't really exist anymore)

So, had our first get together with a potential male lead. We set out 10 songs for a run through. Hey - this whole modern country/five string thing is FUN! Drummer, me, guitar locked in right off the bat. Lead singer may be the guy, maybe not - we will see how the rest shake out. We are going to be BIG on solid vocals, good harmonies and backing, etc. Bottom line - I'm excited about playing again, things are looking like they might come together, and we already have people calling us for gigs - lol we don't have the lineup set or a name yet!

Anyone else made a similar change? It's looking like a good shot in the arm for me!

hrodbert696 and DirtDog like this.
  2. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    That's awesome. It's great the pieces fell together that easily for you. In my case, I was always in heavy metal bands. Finally got a call from my drummer buddy asking if I'd be interested in a rock band he was considering. It's even moving more toward current pop dance style dance with rock elements. Such a breath of fresh air. I'm also looking for a country cover band like you've described.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Modern Country is nothing more than Hair Metal version 2.0, imo. The difference is you no longer have Bret Michaels singing about his Super Glide, you have Brett Elderidge singing about his Silverado.

4. Thanks blu- really hoping it keeps going the direction it looks like it's headed. I gig for fun - and it's by far the most fun when people are dancing and having fun with the music you are playing!

5. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Yep. In a mix of originals & covers. Since we're in Texas, that means you HAVE TO know country.
    If their toes are tappin' at tables and the dance floor is full AND your bass notes animate the dancers, you and the drummer are doin' it right.

6. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    I'm trying to figure out where anyone's opinion on what modern country is or isn't fits in with what the OP was talking about. I'm not sure it matters if it's related to hair metal, jazz, opera, or the latest in rap and R&B. It could be the trendiest thing the world has ever known. It sells, it will continue to sell, and the OP is riding the wave and having a blast doing it.

Mr.Ace, AuBassMan, richntiff and 2 others like this.
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    My post was more or less a joke about country music in general. I wasn't trying to crap on the OP.

I've played in a female fronted Modern Country band and had a blast doing it.

Mr.Ace likes this.
  8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I made that jump about five years ago - with the same band! We started of doing the good ol' classic rock cover band thing and then I found out the guitarist is a killer country player! So we worked in some outlaw country, southern rock and kept the ZZ-like boogie blues stuff. Morphed over the years pulling in a lot of the newer stuff as well as reaching back to the older stuff. Playing everything from Hank and Merle to Zac and Jason. Seems to be working and given that it was entirely new genre me to me, a breath of fresh air. That said, we have struggled to find a really good country singer. After a lot of false starts and little ol' me trying to do it (not well), we found a really talented young lad who fits the bill. Looks like we have a pretty good gigging season coming up.

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I'm more a progger that came out of jazz and Motown background than anything else if you need a label to hang on it. But of late I've been mostly playing blues and blues-rock...and I'm surprised to find I'm still just as happy.

Go figure... :laugh:

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Modern country is no more country than smooth jazz is jazz.:cool:

If you're having fun, getting booked and meeting your musical goals, who cares?

40Hz and BlueAliceOasis like this.
  11. 808P123

808P123

Mar 25, 2015
    I took a modern country gig and ended up joining the house band. Musically it wasn't very satisfying but you forget all about that when you are playing for 1000 screaming girls having the time of their life. It reminded me that music isn't always about you and what you want, it's a privilege to be able to earn a living playing music and your job is to entertain and make people happy.

DirtDog, Session1969 and 40Hz like this.
  12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    From my experience - sounds like a recipe for cover band success:D About 1/4 of our songs are country and they go over great. Bonus - even a hack like me can sing Blake, Luke, Aldean, Sam Hunt, etc to give our female lead vocalist a break;)
    I have some friends who started up about a year ago and are going more country but adding some variety like you - they are booked constantly.
    The bass is usually easy, but getting the backing vocals right can be tricky.

DirtDog and Session1969 like this.
  13. That's what I'm finding - I'm a decent vocalist but nothing too great - so many of these songs fit my range so much better than classic rock.

DirtDog and tbirdsp like this.
  14. Session1969

Session1969 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Last May , I joined/helped put together our current country act and it's been a blast. This is my first country band and my experience in bands has been rock, funk and reggae. I loved country music as a kid , though. Great audience reaction and such a wide age range as well. So many women love country music ! We played Gilleys in Sparks, Nv. last month and it was great seeing the crowd get into it with the line dancing and couples doing the two step and what not. When you include the newer country stuff, there's a huge range of styles throughout the night while still staying within what people call country these days. I'm quite satisfied ! The one weird thing I noticed at Gilleys was that when the DJ played music on our breaks, it was mostly Hip Hop and a lot of people line danced to it. Seems strange to me.

tbirdsp and DirtDog like this.
  15. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yea I jumped over from rock to country years ago...but it was real country. I loved the packed dance floors, big crowds ,lovely ladies and good pay but it's a very select market around here.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  16. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    When I got restless a few years back, I fell in with a modern country band. Not really top 40, but more like the Prime Country station on Sirius/XM. Had a blast. Loved the endless variety of the I-IV-V chord progression. It was a good group with good musicians. Younger crowd. More rowdier crowd than I'm used to playing for. And mostly bar gigs. That was probably the biggest downside for me. But as it got popular and somewhat successful, a couple of the guys including the bandleader wanted to go more fulltime with it and I just wasn't that committed. It held together for a while with a couple new players, but eventually folded. That was fun though.

DirtDog likes this.
  17. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Bass players rule!

Sep 8, 2015
    Pompano Beach FL
    Endorsed by Fusion ( maker of killer gig bags)
    I'm in a "new country band"
    We get a lot of gigs, chicks dig us, nuff said.

DirtDog likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021