1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New projects coming together!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Feb 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

I'm in that euphoric phase where the honeymoon is starting. If past experience is any guide, reality will kick in eventually and I'll get more sober about things as challenges and drawbacks arise. But right now I'm really happy. After a year and a half or so of bands limping along or crashing and burning, it looks like I have a couple of good projects that will hopefully be a lot of fun.

Project 1 is a modern alternative/indie rock cover trio. This is an idea I had a while back but I shelved it when I got invited into a rockabilly band that looked to be up and running. When that blew up (see other threads) after a couple months, I went back to it. Recruited over CL and auditions dragged out for weeks trying to find the right people. I think I've got them, both very enthusiastic for the concept it looks like. The drummer is out of music school, young guy who wants to play pro, so I'm a little worried about being able to keep him long-term, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The idea is to build the core of the set list around the alt-rock charts since 2000, and market to a younger crowd (21-35). Black Keys, White Stripes, Cage the Elephant, Arctic Monkeys, that kind of thing. Lots of danceable stuff in that range and I'm not seeing a lot of bands in the area focusing on it, though you do get the pop/eclectic cover bands doing bits of it. If it gets going, hopefully we'll be out gigging pretty regularly, so I'm thinking of this as my bread-and-butter band.

Recruiting for that actually got me going in project 2, which is an originals band - another trio for now, though we're likely to add a fourth later. A drummer had replied to my CL ad for project 1, then pulled out to do another group, then the bassist for THAT group dropped out and he asked if I wanted to step in. I figured I had nothing to lose, met with him and this guitarist, and we hit it off pretty well. So this is an originals group. The guitarist and I each have a backlog of song ideas that we want to bring in, so we're still figuring out what genre and style we really are, but our styles don't seem to totally clash. I think of myself as a rock bassist but the drummer, listening to me material, thinks there's a lot more R&B in it. As a bonus, getting together with him also got me the chance to rope him back into project #1 a little, in that he said he'd be happy to be a sub or alternate if that project's drummer has conflicts.

So basically... I'm stoked! Wish me luck. Will post updates as the bands evolve, or crash and burn.

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Good luck, Hot Rod! I just got a hit from BandMix (drummer), with what sounds like 'like-minded' aspirations, so if you don't mind, I'll take the oar on the left, while you take the one on the right, and we'll get this dingy headed in the right direction...

hrodbert696 likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Congrats! Future shmuture. Enjoy the moment and make some good music.

SlyFoxtrot, pcake and hrodbert696 like this.
  4. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Go for it! And keep us posted :)

hrodbert696 likes this.
  5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    sounds like a great time to be you musically. enjoy it!

hrodbert696 likes this.
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Progress report: in the originals project, the week after our first meeting the guitarist got sick so I just jammed with the drummer; the guitarist made the next practice, we played together and it seemed to be going well, then the next day I get a call from the drummer that the guitarist quit. Said he didn't think we were on the same page stylistically, which seemed weird after only playing together twice and just starting to feel out each other's material. From some other comments, I suspect what was really up was that he only wanted to play his own material and may have been insecure or uninterested in having to figure out parts to something someone else had written. The good news is that the drummer is very good and he and I really seem to be locking in together and hitting it off. The search for a new guitarist begins, he has some leads.

The covers trio finally met all together for the first time last night. We just had a short 1 1/2 hour rehearsal but everyone had prepared and there was a really good energy. We played Black Keys, Cage the Elephant and Arctic Monkeys. We're using my basement for rehearsal space, and the family was home upstairs. My wife promptly posted on facebook that she feels like she's living upstairs from a club. My reply is that if it feels like a club on our very first rehearsal we must be pretty darn good. Still very stoked for this project.

ak56 likes this.
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Good luck. One thing leads to another in this business.
    You can never have enough contacts.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Way to go, way to embrace the new material.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Fire the drummer and rage quit right now. Save yourself some drama. :D

hrodbert696 likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021