New "Prototype" NV Bergantino 2x10 Cab???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Nov 3, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

so, i just came back from the Sadowsky shop to get one of my strats fixed, and what do i find in the demo room? an "NV" looking 2x10 cab!

literally looks like 1/3 of the NV 6x10, black grill and all. and most interestingly of all, it was REALLY shallow. couldnt have been but literally half the normal depth of the usual Bergantino 2x10. had really nice feeling deeply set handles on each side, and the tweeter was set to "flat". and what a joy to schlep. must be at least 50 lbs., cause it reminded me of picking up my old Acme B-2.

so, enough of that.

i plugged in the Aguilar DB680/Hafner power amp setup, and grabbed a supremely sweet NYC branded PJ-5. needless to say, the tones were great! with the 680 set flat, and using only the Sadowsky's onboard treb/bass, i was getting some fat, yet surprisingly detailed tones. tho, the tweeter didnt have nearly the glassy, glossy mojo that i love in the usual Berg sound, this NV stylie added a sweet brownie richness to the lower mids.

defeating the onboard EQ, and using the DB's EQ yielded some equally great tones as well. and guess what? i actually liked what i heard! usually, Aggie heads and berg cabs sound too congested in the mids when together, but this combo was quite nice. again, that sweet moist brownie like texture made it easy to fall in love.

some niggles? notes lower than the F# didnt have enough punch for me. nor does the Low B on the PJ-5 have the punch of my Acme B-1 pair. but then again, what other cab does? also, the tweeter seems to get a bit crispy and harsh at higher volumes. but then again, i think someone might have pushed the poor guy a little too hard than it could handle, and might have done something funky to the tweeter. but the speakers sounded fine. something i'll have to look into.

other than that, i was HIGHLY impressed with this offering from Jim. looking on the bergie website, there's no mention of it. but geez louise, given that it might be of the NV line, it'd be more affordable, right? doesnt bode well for my wallet, but dagnabbit, what an impressive little cab! i'm actually gonna try and find some time after work to go back, take some pics, and check out the cab again.

stay tuned...
  2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    Was it a Berg NV series or the New Sadowsky UL cab by Bergantino?

Jims a Very knowledgeable designer........

[EDIT] never mind, wouldn't be the sad. UL at 50 Lbs. but the NV wouldn't have a tweeter.........
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Either way, count me along for this ride!!!
  4. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    Yow! Sadowsky's got cabinets? Sounds like a good ride. But....I'm a little unimpressed by Joker's review. If the low end is shy and the high end is harsh.... and it weighs 50 lbs....
    What's the good part? The mids? The shallowness of the cab?

When I read some of these threads, I'm just wondering how much is GAS and how much is recognizing a better product.
  5. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey Joker,

It's actually an HT with shallower depth that's more focused on the first overtone than the fundamental (so says Jim). Same components as the HT-210 with different dimensions. A little info on this site:

6. BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
  7. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Would that be that Sunburst Flamed topped Sadowsky PJ-5 on the Sadowsky "Instruments/basses available" page? Yikes That bass looks STUNNING! Gassing!
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    er..a..bump :cool:
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

first off, lemme say that the harsh high, again, might have been due to someone being a little too generous with the wattage. if i turn down the tweeter, it goes away.

and i should have prefaced my review with the fact that i'm a die hard Acme user. low end wise, most anything compared to my Acmes will seem low end shy. again, once you've gone acme its nearly impossible to see any other cab in the same light. i call it the "first sin" syndrome. ;)

but as a cab vs. most other cabs i've heard, the Berg literally rocked me. GAS is one thing, but to be as impressed as i was, despite being perfectly content with what i own, Jim's really got a winner here. i especially love the shallow form factor. great for those supremely tight lounge spaces or stages like the C-Note, where you can barely fit three people.

the only thing i missed was the fact it lacked the glossy gooey, almost tube like sound of the tweeter, but again, i'm thinking it has to do with the fact that was pushed just a wee bit too far by someone.

and thx for the link, Aram! the picture is exactly the cab i tried. and great info.

and no, Roxie, it wasnt that one, while very cool. it was a most sweet olympic white alder PJ-5 w/ a rosie board. funny how its not on the site yet. must... resist... its... pull...!!!!
  10. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    No prob man. I've been dying to try one of these out...wonder if Rudy's got one yet. It's an interesting concept too, not sure if Jim plans a 115s or not, but seems like it'd make for a nice, portable Bergie stack. The 18" depth on the normal HTs can be cumbersome, but oh man is it worth it for the tone!

You're probably on to something with the tweeter being blown, because it appears to be the same one as the non-slim HTs.

11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, actually a pair of these would seriously rock some booty.

cant wait to hear the "ultralite" version of these.

oops, did i say that? :bag: ;)
  12. The cab size is 23"w x 18"h x 11.5"deep. I forgot to ask the weight. Jim is always coming up with something cool and I just have to call him a find out the scoop. Bergs are my favorite!
  13. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Big String -- I think it's about 50lbs.
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    not even,

it was a much nicer carry than i remember carrying my old Acme B2, which i weighed to be 49-50 lbs. my eyes actually lit up when i first picked it up. like, "woah..."

if anything, if Jim could somehow improve the tweeter to sound as glossy and sweet as the silverface HT line, he'd have a real winner, IMHO.
  15. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    That's so weird...I could swear it's the same one. I'll have to call Rudy's and see if they've got one. Now I'm REALLY curious...
  16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I would think it would be a blown/ defective tweeter in that cab. Jim's tweeters/horns/ crossovers are the best :cool: