Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New PRS bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lyle, Dec 14, 2005.

1. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Wow. Looks pretty cool. Love the purple finish!

Private stock = expensive. But then, it does happen to be a fancy boutique bass, no surprise there.

Ramp = "manual compressor", huh? Interesting.

The bridge looks like a Ken Smith. Excellent choice!

I wonder what the bridge spacing is? If that's a Smith bridge, it's likely 19mm... that would be cool. The original PRS fivers had narrow bridge spacing.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    From owning 4 PRS Guirars (only 2 now) thinking about the price of that thing scares me.
    There was a topic a couple of day ago, I think it was "PRS Santana SE" if you do a search on that, someone posted a picture of a PRS bass. I don't know if it's the same one, but maybe you could PM them?

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Likely not the same Bass. PRS made some production basses in the past, they were never very popular, and they discontinued them. This one looks like a 2nd attempt at hitting the bass market to me.

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Ew...

6. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA

I second that!

7. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    It doesn't have nearly enough knobs IMO.

:)

8. It looks pretty cool!!!

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm the one who owns a PRS bass. I have one of the second production run of basses (very late 90's through first few years 2K). The second run is much better than the first batch (late 80s, early 90s).

I'm really glad I own it, and its very comfortable with a killer action...but it has some strong negatives too. I can also tell you that it's a non-carved flat top active bass with a solid finish and no fancy appointments that listed at $2.2K.

The problem is that it's got one really killer sound...super low super deep unbelieveable boom. It's got sustain that I've never heard rivaled in any bass, whether running passive or active...The rest of the tonal spectrum goes to obnoxiouly scooped really quickly. It's got an 18v pre-amp with only one tone control.

If you have any specific questions about mine, I'd be happy to share

10. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Kinda looks like those old Dan Amstrong plexi-glass basses. It also appears to have a glued-on or set neck.

Bassconbeatz

11. Admittedly if I had that kind of money, it wouldn't be top of my list... but I do like the look of it.

12. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Is it just me or does that bass have a HUGE Brubaker vibe?

Anyways, pretty sweet, wonder how it sounds. Grainger has a really snappy tone with deep bass.

13. do you have a picture of yours ? and what pickups are in it ?

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i like it, but for the money i'd probably go with something different.

15. I think it's beautiful, if it was a woman, or legal, I would marry it and father crimes against nature with it. Our children would not be useable as instruments, and neither would they be able to function outside the womb and would die quickly with the absence of life support, or may just be stillborn. My bass-wife and I would mourn and comfort each other over the loss of our dear travesties...

Anyways, I've always loved the PRS look for their guitars, but their basses have always been a little nasty, this looks like it was made by PRS! woo!

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Sure...not a problem...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This picture is a bit older, as it doesn't include my current #1 bass...

The pickups are passive Jazz style 'blade' pickups with curved ends and the actual pickup is radiused to match the fretboard radius. They're PRS made. The control layout is V/V/T just like a Jazz, with the switch being for passive/active. The bridge is also a PRS design, and is very hefty.