New PRS Kingfisher colour

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean150, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Most of the sound samples in the video didn’t sound very Stingray-like. While the top end sounded like a Stingray when set to be clear and bright, a Ray usually still has a grinding deep low end that this didn’t seem to maintain. It’s passive and neck through so it’s built quite differently as well.

jeff7bass likes this.
  3. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    It shore is purdy. (I suppose if you wanted a Ray-like tone out of it, you could see about getting it retrofitted for a Ray-like preamp.)

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Resale value won't be as good as for a Stingray, will it?

5. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    I’ve never been fully satisfied with the stingray so the fact that it sounds different is probably a good thing and I prefer passive basses.

I have an AM Pro Jazz that I am thinking of getting rid of which is the only reason I am considering a new bass.

And since I don’t sell basses (only trade at the store) I am not too concerned about resale value.

jd56hawk likes this.
  6. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    I absolutely love this color!

I already have a Kingfisher, and aside from the anemic sounding electronics I LOVE that bass (I have since upgraded the electronics though).

If this new one has the same electronics, I'd probably switch them out too...but the tone in the video does sound more "full" than what mine was stock, so maybe PRS addressed that? Would love to check one of these out.

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Love the looks and sounds. 10" radius neck sounds good to me also. This bass hits it out of the park. Simple, elegant, sounds both smooth and/or punchy.

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    This one is passive, which I prefer. Pickups are pretty hot when wide open.

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I much prefer this over a Stingray because of the additional neck pickup.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2021