1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New PS3 owner - 1 game I should buy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by doctorjazz, Sep 21, 2008.

1. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    So, I just found myself doing something I thought I'd never do - I bought a PS3. I really only bought it because I wanted a Blu-Ray player and it's the best one on the market since M$ has no intention of releasing a drive for the 360 like they did with HD-DVD. Dumb move IMO, since the external drive was by far the most cost-effective HD-DVD player on the market for 360 owners. I had plans to buy one until the format war ended.

Still, it is a PS3 after all, so I might as well get some games for it too. I'm already planning on MGS4, since I really enjoyed the earlier games on my PS2 and it was one of the very few games that actually made me lament not having a PS3. I already own Assassin's Creed and CoD4 on the 360, so don't suggest those.

This brings us to my question: Excluding those, what is the ONE game for the PS3 that you guys think I absolutely must have? Looking for something either Sony-exclusive or much better on the PS3 than on the 360.

2. Resistance: Fall of Man if you're into first person shooters. :)

3. +1, I've played it at a friends house, and I find it hard to go a day without playing it.:smug:

Also God of War 3 is coming out for ps3 exclusively next year.

4. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Metal Gear Solid 4!@#!#! and Armored Core For Reason just came out.

5. Resistance 2 is due out in a couple of months, I'd wait for that.

As for other games? Depends on your taste in games really.

Warhawk is excellent if you don't mind multiplayer only games. Steep learning curve, but it is immensely fun. The online community for it is still going strong, and the developers are still creating content for the game (new maps, weapons and vehicles). I got it the day it came out and still play it over a year later...and I still kinda suck at some aspects of the game (mostly flying the Warhawk. Ground/tank combat I'm competent with). Another online only game, due out in about a months time is Socom: Confrontation.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is pretty good too. Action adventure game, feels like an Indiana Jones movie. No visible load times. Bunch of stuff to unlock. IMO, too much combat and not enough platforming. But thats my only gripe.

If you're into strategy RPG's, I recommend Disgaea 3. My only complaint is that they use low-res sprites in the game, but that doesn't distract from the game play. There is a ton of stuff to do in the game. You can get to level 9999, and do billions of points of damage :)

And if you like survival horror games, Silent Hill: Homecoming is coming out in just over a week, and Dead Space is coming out in about a month. You can also download Siren: Blood Curse off of the Playstation Network for $40. Its a remake of the original Siren, but with better controls/camera and graphics. Definitely a great purchase if you haven't played the original.

Theres plenty of other games out there. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about one of the games, or for any more recommendations.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Call of Duty 4.....

7. I don't own a PS3, but I really enjoy playing Soul Calibur 4. A lot. It's got a fantastic 'create your own fighter' feature.

Excellent game.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    COD4 so you can stop paying to play it online :smug:

I have Oblivion, Battlefield Bad Co, GTA4 and Resistance FOM. I play Oblivion the most.

9. Yeah, SCIV is a pretty good effort. My favorite is still #2, but the 4th one is pretty solid.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    frankly, blue-ray & MSG4 are reasons enough for me to get a PS3.

but i say just get one game at a time.

i'm prone to jumping from one game to another, and next thing you know it, i havent finished any game, nor have i gotten my money's worth from any of them.

11. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    LOL @ the mgs4 post. if i had to buy one game for the ps3, it would be cod4. endless fun playing online, plus it has a great single player story line which i've played through 3 times.

mg3 got boring after the first time through. didn't feel like i needed to play it again, and i'm glad i didn't buy it. it was one of the reasons i bought ps3 and it was an epic end to the series, but trying to play it with all those cut scenes. ugh

resistance was a great game. i hated fps games before this one. opened me up to cod4. will buy resistance 2 when it comes out.

all i can say is call of duty 4. first game i bought. hell, i bought the game after i beat it when i rented it. game rules so hard.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    COD4 is an awesome game, but frankly, i'd rather play it on an xbox and xboxlive.

i remember also seeing a dual screen of the 360 vs. ps3, and i couldnt really tell the diff.

13. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i've played in on xbox and xbox live and it's the same to me. i've seen them next to each other and couldn't tell the difference. i felt the ps3 was a little bit smoother. i also thought the xbox controllers were weird.

anyway, this isn't a flaming xbox thread. i originally bought a ps3 because i wanted to play the new gta when it came out, and i chose the ps3 because of mgs4 and the blu-ray. i'm not going to say that i didn't like mgs4, i'm glad i didn't buy it because after i beat it i didn't want t play it again.

14. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Banned

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    Madden 09 and Heavenly Sword

Heavenly Sword=Criminally Underrated!!

15. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son

Mar 8, 2007
    Omahell
    Resistance 2
    God of War 3
    Street Fighter 4
    Resident Evil 5
    Tekken 6
    :)

16. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    NHL 2008 (or wait for 2009) get the roster updates when EA releases them. FTW

17. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Thread Killer. Sorry

18. gta 4

19. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    Like jokerjkny I buy one game at a time. And of as it is, I'm out of ideas. I got MGS4 (awesome game), Bad Company, RainbowSix Vegas, Ninja Gaiden and The Force Unleashed. Having no bass currently I need a new game to survive for the rest of the week. Silent Hill is coming but in the mean time what should I get? I tried Madden 09 (the demo) it looked interesting, but like your beer, your game is unplayable. How's Soul Calibur? I plan on trading 2 games for 1 at Eb.

No, not GTA4 nor CoD4, thanks.

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

My favourite game for PS3 is Elder Scrolls : Oblivion Game of the Year edition! Says it all!! ;)