New "Punishment" Idea

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Bob Clayton, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i know alot of us have posted freebie threads and such...but even in an OT they don't belong because they keep getting closed...well...i joined the AFI forums (

and found they had in interesting system of punishment...sor each infraction...they get points...5(or more) points and you're banned...
    this is their system

Post Flooding 1 Point
    Offtopic / Garbage Posts- 1 Point
    Spamming / Advertising- 2 Points
    Inappropriate Images- 2 Points
    Disrespect: Other Users- 2 Points
    Disrespect: AFI / Family / Crew- 4 Points
    Antagonizing / Trolling- 4 Points
    Total Stupidity- 5 Points

Here is what i suggest for us...still 5 points and you're banned

Freebies- 1 Point
    Spamming/Advertising- 2 Points
    Breaking of Any Other Rule- 2 Points
    Cursing- 3 Points
    Inappropriate Images- 3 Points
    Disrespect(to ANY USER)- 4 Points
    Racism- 4 Points
    Trolling- 5 Points

i think this system would make the mod's job ALOT easier...people will think twice about posting a freebie or joking about someone or going @#$%& iin their posts

anyone else agree/disagree?
  2. Sounds like a good idea in principle, but just one thing:

The point system should only be over a certain period of time, like points on your driving license, y'know after x amount of no wrong doing your points are cleared. I think it would work better that way as people who have been here 2 or 3 years are bound to have posted more than 5 freebies, and shouldn't neccessarily be banned for that.

Anyway, as I said, sounds like a good idea in principle.
  3. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

good point...maybe have a seperate counter for freebies and have them only with .5 points and ONLY they are cleared after say 2 months....20 freebies in 2 months would be alot...
  4. I dont think swearing should be on there becasue it is automatically censored. Do you mean freebie posts or freebie threads?
  5. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i don't think thats entirely true... cuz i remember one time jazzbo edited one of my posts and other people's posts...

i think some words are automatically filtered (like F) but not all
  6. In that case, I have a suggestion. Why not add words that should be but arent censored to the auto-censor list?
  7. Me too...too complicated and such:meh:

I think people should just watch they do and stuff...and give warnings...(even I break the rules,sometimes:()

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Limitations in the software. The F word comes out ****, but if somebody puts f*** or f%$#, the filters will not catch it.
  9. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Seems unwieldy. If I were a moderator, I wouldn't enjoy keeping a running tally of every member's point total.
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im not to hip on this idea either.

Not to diss any mods or any members here, but off topic is just that OFF topic. Thats the one forum were freebies should be welcome as long as they arent offensive then they're shouldnt be a problem.

As for trolls, they usually get busted and banned pretty quickly to begin with.
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    why is racism or any other kind of discrimination implicitly tolerated?

those are insta-banning offenses, imo.

the present system isn't broken, so no need to fix it.
  12. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

it would just be like a database...just an extra "stat" added to everyone's profile...and when the mod feels the need to add a point they can and when it reaches 5...they let Paul know

JT- you're right, racism/discrimination should be instant banning
  13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    racism/discrimination imo are nothing more than disrespect to another user. Yes disrespect is a bannable offense, but we dont usually ban someone for being dissrespectful right off the bat either. We usually send them a warning, then if they keep it up, they get the boot. (unless its an obvious troll)

If someone spouts out dago, spic, wop, ******, kike, mick, etc, then I feel they should be sent a warning like anyone else who disrespects another member would be. If they do it again, then they should get teh boot.

Im a realist, racism aint cool, but to ban someone based solely because theyre racist is wrong and us being discriminatory.
  14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    But........what about Munji?
  15. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I'm a member at this
    They will put you on probation for a freebie post, I mean just one. It is strictly a tech only site and as such they don't tolerate any monkey business. They also won't tolerate any non-tech or off topic posts, except in the rare instance that everyone keeps it civil and the discussion is good. THIS thread is a good example. It's really a pretty neat forum and you don't have to put up with much monkey business, except for the usual spelling/grammar-deficient posters. There is also no off-topic forum which eliminates a LOT of B.S.

I put this up as an example of how other sites manage their forums without coming across as KGB-like.
  16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Bleh. There went all my posts if that went into effect.
  17. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm not keen - it's not going to work unless all the moderators are beancounters who like fiddling with numbers rather than having a life and doing some bass practise.

Also, how does this system exercise grace? I've probably earned at least a point by using the word 'beancounters', because it could offend accountants (sometimes called 'beancounters', generally in a derogatory manner). I think of myself as demonstrating at least an average level of respect and helpfulness through my contributions but I'm sure there's enough in my previous posts to get me towards the magic 5 mark...

I think you'd risk loosing people who decide that it's no fun posting when they might inadvertantly tiptoe along the path to being 'banned'. Therefore, I'd rather stick with the present system, whereby we rely on the moderators discretion and judgement to keep things in order.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No - this is going to increase mods' work, not reduce it - so instead of using their judgement, they have to classify every offense as a number?!

Impossible in many cases - as wulf says - do joky phrases count as disrespect? I think it would render the place humour-less and soul-less - you can't reduce everything to numbers and everything has to be taken in context and judgement used.