Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New pup for the Sterling!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by popinfresh, Jul 3, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, i've decided to hang onto the OBP-3 for now and not put it in just yet. First thing, i'm going to try change pickups. If you have any preamps to recomend, let me here them as well.

I'm looking for something for the sterling. I want a little 'fuller' sounding than the original stock pup to start with. Most of all though, I want to be able to get a little more growl from it. Think of it this way, the more I can make it sound like a Warwick Stg II, the happier :p But seriously, I just want a little 'bigger' bottom end, more bootay and when I dig in, I want a nice growl (it's a rosewood board, but i'm running through an all tube amp, into a Schroeder, which helps with growl). I also want the top end to still be that crisp cutting top that the sterling has in a band setting especially.

So far, the Nordstrand pup is looking good. What else is out there that will give me the most of what I want (Yes I know, it's not going to sound like a Stg II, but i'd rather not change basses right now). If I have to change basses, theres a few i'll be looking at...

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had a stingray with ceramic MM pickup, the low end was to me somewhat benign.
    I tried an alnico MM pickup, an SD one, and found a great improvement - there was more low end, but still the clarity.
    Carey's pickups are great, I just haven't tried his MM in an MM bass to make a comparison between that and the SD

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, so far i've being suggested:

Nordstrand
    EMG (Which one, I don't know)
    SD

What do you guys think?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    did you read luknfurs mm pickup review thread?
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123068

At the end of the day, we can't make the decision for you since we all have different tastes. Also, while going from ceramic to alnico will make slight changes in the sound at the end of the day it's still going to sound like the same bass but slightly different.