1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New puppy in the house

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by matthewfoote, Apr 23, 2006.

1. I have at last bowed to pressure from my wife and daughter and we are getting a puppy - a Pyrenean Mountain dog

We pick it up in 10 days time when the fun will begin!

I took a couple of photos which I have attached and will probably bore you with more when she arrives I will also no doubt ask lot of questions so I ask for your patience.

Photo 1 is of our puppy to be

Photo 2 is of the father who is only 2 years old but when standing next to me reaches my stomach and I am 6 feet tall!:eek: They are known as the gental giants and in this case they are not kidding.

I think that for me allowing the dog I should get that Rob Allen deep5 I am lusting after.:bassist:

Regards

Matthew

2. since your gettin a puppy can i have a beagle puppy please. i promise ill feed and walk her. well can i have a beagle, please, please, please.:hyper:

3. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Aaaaw :)

It'll own the house within a fortnight of arriving.

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Oh, he's a cutie. Look out.

Marshall

5. She is very cute, but within a year she will be around 100lbs of cute! The good bit is they do not eat large amounts of food and do not require much exercise.

One downside of their size is that being a giant they have giant sized poos so taking the dog for a walk will be interesting.

Mike I was reluctant to get a dog because when I was a small child my parents had a beagle which kept knocking me over. I have been scared since to own another dog until now, 35 years later. In my mind Beagles are devil dogs and you need to be a brave person to own one!.

Regards

Matthew

6. My wife has just shown me this shot showing a few more of the litter.

All together now Ahhhhhhhh..........

Matthew

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Those are some Beautiful animals.:)

8. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Now you're making me anxious. My wife and I are currently searching for a breeder to get a puppy from.

Looks like a beautiful puppy! Congrats.

9. I totally misread that and just about fell down laughing.:D

Nice doggies.

Rock on
    Eric

10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Awesome puppy, congratulations!! My dogs never cease to amaze me.

Do you have others?

11. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Too cute!!!

100 lbs within a year...wow. That's a lot of food.

M

12. Geoff St. Germaine

We had a neighbour that had a Newfoundland that weighed around 150 lbs. IIRC, that dog ate a 50 pound bag of dog food every 5 days when it was around 2 years old.

13. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    Oh man... Too funny. :D

I have a Beagle (6 years old now, I think...) and a Lhasa Ahpso (2 years old in July). They own the house now. :scowl:

Congrats on the dog. They're a lot of fun, and well worth the effort.

14. Don't do it!!!!!

You will end up buying all the food, toys, grooming, vet costs etc. etc.

You will end up as the only one who walks it.

You will end up as the only one who cleans up it's giant poops.

You will end up with a huge stinky dog in your house after your daughter has moved out to school.

Don't do it!!!!!:bag:

15. Geoff St. Germaine

That's exactly what happened to my wife's father. He didn't want a dog, his wife and one of their daughters promised they'd walk the dog. After a few months they mostly lost interest and stopped walking it or anything. I feel sorry for their dog.

16. You make a good point but in this case all three of us want the puppy and we do realise that the responsibility will rest with my wife and I and we are happy with that.

43% BURNT

This is our first puppy as a family but my parents had dogs so it is not a totally new situation but we will be on a fairy steep learning curve.

:D Cant wait for the day.

Matthew

17. That is one cute dog. Any name ideas yet?

18. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    As a dog lover and owner I can tell you two things:

1. all dogs need exercise. even small ones.

2. they are adorable and a lot fun, but alot of work. just like children!

when our lab was a puppy she destroyed every single piece of wooden furniture in the house. one bite mark on a table or chair and thats it. we almost considered just buying wrought iron furniture. she grew out the incessant chewing eventually.

19. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I WANT A PUPPY!!!

Totally cute dog, dude. Congrats. I only really like mid-to-large dogs. I don't trust the little ones that yap all day and I think my girlfriend's kitten is trying to kill me...

20. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i've got a 125lb dogue de bordeaux, and the quality of food has a huge impact on the amount of waste you'll have to pick up! Its cheaper to buy a better brand of dogfood due to the serving size (less filler), your yard will thank you for it, and it will no doubt be better for your dog's long term health.....
    a good book if you haven't picked one up yet is "good owners, great dogs" by paul kunkel.......

a pic of mine - "bunny"