1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Pups and Pots on a S-101 Bass seems a waste

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by planetdrumz, Feb 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. planetdrumz

planetdrumz

Jan 4, 2016
    Boston
    Yup, I think i wasted some money trying to make this Bass a bit better (S-101 P COPY), but no such luck. I installed Seymour Duncan Quarter pounder's and Fender Pots, (strings were just changed before upgrade). I Hear a little bit of a better sound but it just sounds muddy and dead.....could this be because its a cheapo Bass and the body is made out of inferior wood?

I'm thinking of just dumping this bass and getting one of the new Ibanez Talman TMB 100 Basses. Im a left handed player so my choices are limited and I dont want to spend a ton of money on a Bass yet.

Any Thoughts?

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I have found that some basses just sound bad. Pickup changes give you different flavors of bad. I only know one solution. Put EMG active pickups in it. EMG's sound like EMG's, no matter what you put them in.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  3. Adjust your pickup height!

That is the secret to 1/4 pounders (and many other pickups)!!

4. Who makes the S-101?

5. Pickups only make a tiiiiiny difference.

wvbass likes this.
  6. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Talman... looks like fun. :)
    Go play a bunch of them.
    $200 ?

7. planetdrumz

planetdrumz

Jan 4, 2016
    Boston
    Thanks for all the quick responses. I appreciate the information

I did mess with the pickup height a little and still weren't happy with it. I have a Dean edge 4 with EMG active pickups and sound a hundred times better.

8. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    An offshoot company owned by Samick, called ASG, American Sejung Guitar, or something like that.

I have a left-handed S-101 P bass copy. They're fine, once they're set up properly. The stock pup, string tree and the knobs are garbage, but the rest of the bass is perfectly fine. The neck on these things are huge.

9. planetdrumz

planetdrumz

Jan 4, 2016
    Boston
    Made some more adjustments to the pickups, action, and set the intonation and It's seems to sound pretty good now! IMO for the price of these, you can't go wrong.