Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New P'ups: DiMarzio Ultra Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by greenboy, Jul 9, 2001.

1. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I've been corresponding with DiMarzio; they are getting ready to sell Ultra Jazz p'ups (the four-string version as mentioned by Ed Friedland as responsible for making his Mexi NAFTAcaster a real tone monster -- also see the online J-p'ups Shootout at the BassPlayer Mag site;) for five-strings.

These are side-by-side split-coils (imagine a P-pickup only in a J case) so should still be quiet compared to single coils, and yet have better output and no "compression" as compared to noiseless "stacks".

Both the neck and the bridge versions of the Ultra Jazz 5 have the same long-J form factor; the Neck p'up pole-piece spacing appears to work for narrower string spacings as encountered on Carvin Fives, and the Ultra Jazz 5 Bridge/Neck combo looks like a good fit for wide/standard string-spacing as long as one's bass uses the long-J form factor.

They have slightly modified the characteristics to better accomodate the balance and tonality needed by a bass with a low B string and the pole-pieces are staggered for today's modern flatter radiuses.

<-- greenboy ---<<<<

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    you knockin' NAFTA?

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Just installed the Ultra Jazz 5 NECK p'up in the bridge slot on my LB75 fretless (as mentioned earlier the string spacing on the Carvin is narrow while DiMarzio has built the p'ups around standard spacing -- thus using the neck version which is otherwise the same).

The Jazz Ultra 5 matches up well with the H50N I still have at the neck in terms of matched bass response (where before the difference in sensing areas along the string made the bridge less bassy -- as is usually the case). The 50/50 mix -- center on the blend pot -- is a little less slap-happy than it was before. But I really haven't got it all dialed in yet : }

The Ultra 5 definitely puts more focus into the lower mids and bass, while still having good and plentiful upper definition, albeit at a lower frequency than before. Which is what I wanted at the bridge for the music/band I am doing now. Still using my beloved best-of-both-worlds Smith Compressors, natch.

In keeping with the lower resonant frequency, the output is higher of course. So I simply screw the Ultra down lower from the strings than I did with the former Carvin H50N, and have also moved my neck H50N pickup closer to the strings to get output balance. On a related note {;} I've adjusted my head/preamp pre-gain lower so as not to max the preamp circuitry when I really dig in (yes, no compression here unlike even the best "stack" pickups!)

Everything is sounding great. More tweaking and experimentation is in order to get things exactly as I like (think 50/50 blend tone) -- but I think I'm on to a winner here that will do everything I'm looking for. This puppy woofs on fretless and should be great on fretted as well.

<-- greenboy ---<<<<   yeah, but is it the BEST pickup?!?! ; }

4. I like my jazz ultra 5's too.
    Still waiting for my j-retro preamp for my mim jazz5..........
    ..........still waiting.......
    eddie

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Got those on the naftajazzer? Fretted? Cool. At the risk of shaking loose an extended tirade, I'll mention that Carvin lap-dog Ed Friedland is pretty sold on the Ultras he put on his MIM 4 ; }

If I had a fender-style J that J-Retro would definitely be there too. Certain lap-dogs also think they are cool and sound great ; }

<-- greenboy ---<<<<   looking for an honest man; lantern needs lithium cells ; }

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Did you have to modify the bass to install these? I am considering replacing the stocks in my MIA jazz deluxe 5.

Chas

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Didn't have to modify in the least. Carvin uses the regular Fender long bridge J form factor in both positions (as do other many builders) and that's what DiMarzio did for both positions as well.

Just to clarify: windings/electric specs are the sme for either positon -- the only difference between the Ultra 5 Neck and Bridge is the two-per-string pole-piece centering, which when on a standard-string-spacing bass makes them line up perfectly.

On a narrow-spacing bass such as Carvin (other than the Bunny Brunels), you have to use the Neck
    version for either position, and the one at the neck will actually have the pole-piece sets a fair amount outside the B and G strings.

I am REALLY liking this pickup : }

8. chasarms. yes i had to cut out the routes around were the pickup screws go. Those little wings(not sure what they are called) are closer in to the centre of the pup. Also the pickguard had to be cut out a little also. The pups are a little shorter than the standard pups were so there is more gap at the ends, but not unsightly. This was all done on a mim fender jazz, maybe the us model the pups may be different dimensions.
    eddie

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Fender probably messed with the sizing. What good is a standard if you can't break it and then name the new one a "Standard"... ; } <snicker>

OK, check out Bart's website for pickup diagrams. Fender messed with their own standard. Which pretty much everybody else uses. Royal ; }

10. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Very old thread....just installed these in a MTD Kingston. Paired with a Audere 4 band I get very useful tones out of them. They are comparable to all major pickup manufacturers and a great value considering the price. Even articulate tone across all strings. Not scooped at all in this bass. Nice jazz like aggressive treble.

Highly recommended.