Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Pups for my MIJ Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JimmyO, Dec 15, 2004.

1. JimmyO

JimmyO

Dec 15, 2004
    Durham, NC
    Hey All, Long-time lurker, first-time poster here...

I've got a 10-year old Japanese-made Fender Jazz. I love it to death, and don't plan on parting with it anytime in the near future.

My pickups have been s#itting the bed slowly for a while, and the bridge pup even has a strange ring to it when it gets knocked. (As an aside: Any idea what causes that ring?)

My main question:

1.) What versatile pups would you recommend for my J-bass, given that I like to play a lot of slap and have good low and high presence, but also don't mind dialing in that mid-ish growl ever now and then.

2.) I prefer to stay with passive electronics, but wonder how best to avoid humming.

Thanks!

-JimmyO

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  3. JimmyO

JimmyO

Dec 15, 2004
    Durham, NC
    Thanks for the link. Apologies for bringing up a topic that's already been addressed extensively...

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Aside from those threads, I reccomend duncan quarter punders...

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Since you are into slapping, I would suggest DiMarzio Ultra jazz pickups.

They are hum cancelling, so there is no single coil noise.

Get a diagram by emailing DiMarzio, on how you can wire those to push/pull volume pots. This will give you a series-parallel option. Lots of tonal variations, all while staying passive :bassist:

I find IME that they are pretty versatile, so you can do a lot of different things with these.

You'll get a good deal on the pickups and volume pots from Brian at www.bestbassgear.com :hyper:

6. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi JimmyO

I've just replaced the PU's in my Fender JB CIJ '62 RI. I didn't like the standards.

I would suggest Seymour Duncan SJB3 N/B "QuarterPounder".
    Seymour Duncan SJB3 N/B "QuarterPounder" does not have a lot of Humming.

Let me know what you end up with.

7. JimmyO

JimmyO

Dec 15, 2004
    Durham, NC
    Thanks for the input, everyone!

The Seymour Duncan SJB-3 and the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz seem to the two pups most suited to what I'm looking for, and appear to be similarly (and reasonably!) priced.

I will look into both and let you know what I come up with.

Thanks again for the input. You've made a new member feel very welcome.

Take care,

JimmyO