New Pups for my MIJ Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JimmyO, Dec 15, 2004.

1. JimmyO

JimmyO

Dec 15, 2004
    Durham, NC
    Hey All, Long-time lurker, first-time poster here...

I've got a 10-year old Japanese-made Fender Jazz. I love it to death, and don't plan on parting with it anytime in the near future.

My pickups have been s#itting the bed slowly for a while, and the bridge pup even has a strange ring to it when it gets knocked. (As an aside: Any idea what causes that ring?)

My main question:

1.) What versatile pups would you recommend for my J-bass, given that I like to play a lot of slap and have good low and high presence, but also don't mind dialing in that mid-ish growl ever now and then.

2.) I prefer to stay with passive electronics, but wonder how best to avoid humming.

Thanks!

-JimmyO

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  3. JimmyO

JimmyO

Dec 15, 2004
    Durham, NC
    Thanks for the link. Apologies for bringing up a topic that's already been addressed extensively...

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Aside from those threads, I reccomend duncan quarter punders...

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Since you are into slapping, I would suggest DiMarzio Ultra jazz pickups.

They are hum cancelling, so there is no single coil noise.

Get a diagram by emailing DiMarzio, on how you can wire those to push/pull volume pots. This will give you a series-parallel option. Lots of tonal variations, all while staying passive :bassist:

I find IME that they are pretty versatile, so you can do a lot of different things with these.

You'll get a good deal on the pickups and volume pots from Brian at www.bestbassgear.com :hyper:

6. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi JimmyO

I've just replaced the PU's in my Fender JB CIJ '62 RI. I didn't like the standards.

I would suggest Seymour Duncan SJB3 N/B "QuarterPounder".
    Seymour Duncan SJB3 N/B "QuarterPounder" does not have a lot of Humming.

Let me know what you end up with.

7. JimmyO

JimmyO

Dec 15, 2004
    Durham, NC
    Thanks for the input, everyone!

The Seymour Duncan SJB-3 and the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz seem to the two pups most suited to what I'm looking for, and appear to be similarly (and reasonably!) priced.

I will look into both and let you know what I come up with.

Thanks again for the input. You've made a new member feel very welcome.

Take care,

JimmyO