1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New pups for my Mikro punchy, raw and aggressive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Feb 18, 2016.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I am thinking of investing in a new pair of pickups for my Ibanez Mikro (passive P/J configuration) coming the 1st of March.

My preliminary thought is to get a pair of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound.

Am I all wrong in my choice if I want a punchy, raw, aggressive, yet clean sound out of my bass?

Other suggestions are most welcome.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  2. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Bump!

Excuse me for maybe not the best tittle on the post, but someone should be able to help me anyway.

3. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    Are the pickups on a Mikro the same dimensions of standard P and J pickups? If so, there are many threads on the tones created by Quarter Pounders. I have the G&L MFD pickups and I have heard that the Quarter Pounders are in the same ball park. If that is true then they are indeed higher output much more aggressive versions of Fender P and J pickups. My MFD pickups can be dialed back using the volume control to cop the tone of standard P and J pups. I have the option to dial them up to 100% for the full punch the pickup has on tap. I suspect the QP's would be the same. Unfortunately the G&L pickups are not direct replacements for Fender style pickups.

Hope that helped in some way.

4. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Ok, thank you :)

I will try them out then, they do seem like they are in the right ball park from the description and the YouTube demo's I heard.

It's pretty absurd though that the pickups will almost be as much as my entire bass costed, so got to be a massive upgrade, even if the stock pickup's are not that bad, though leaveing some to wish for.

The actual playability and overall feel of the Mikro though is just about perfect for me, so it is definitely worth the upgrade.

micahwc likes this.
  5. If I recall correctly the pickup routes are slightly different and may require a little finangling to get other pickups to fit exactly right.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Adding to what micahwc wrote:

If you can bring the bass into a store where you will buy the pickups, you could easily see if they will fit.

Ordering online, be sure to measure carefully and compare with the specs, also try contacting Duncan asking if they have any info on the Mikro (they might).

7. igagis

igagis

Oct 13, 2017
    @NoiseNinja What was the outcome of your upgrade? Did those pickup fit the mikro without any additional work needed? Did you feel sound improvement according to your expectations, i.e. did you notice the positive difference? And was the upgrade worth it?

I'm thinking of making the same upgrade. Your info would be very helpful.

Thanks!

8. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I ended up deciding for a pair of P/J EMG Geezer Butler Pickups instead, as they got a more even frequency response, where as the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders seems to scoop out the mids quite a bit.

The EMG Geezers lived up to my expectations and more to though.

They made the tone of my bass go from decent to amazing.

It now got this raw cheeky but well defined tone and with a lot of clarity that I felt the stock pickups were lacking.

Here's a couple of clips w me playing the bass after the pickups swap (note that I hooked both pickups directly to the output jack plug of the bass bypassing all controls, pots and caps):

This is just the Mikro with the P/J Geezer pickups ran straight into my audio interface through my EHX Black Finger used more as a regular tube preamp than the compressor it is originally designed as:

And here's a take where the Mikro with Geezers are run through varrious outboard preamps as well as VST's and played to a preprogrammed drum, synth and bells track together with some improvised baritone guitar (here I was diliberately going for a more mellow bass tone):

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  9. igagis

igagis

Oct 13, 2017
    @NoiseNinja Thank you for response and for sound tracks! I still have some questions though...

So, as I understood you ended up bying EMG Geezer Butler instead of Duncan Quarter Pound?
    Those fitted the Mikro well, I assume.

Do you think EMG GB are sounding similar to Duncan QP? Why did you change your mind about Duncan QP?

Thanks!

NoiseNinja likes this.
  10. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Yeah, realized that part and just edited my original response:

While the Quarter Pounders definitely are in the ball park with the Geezers in terms of aggressiveness and output, if not even more so, as I stated the QP lack mids, which has all to do with punch in my book.

I would choose EMG Geezer Butler or DiMarzio P/J pickups, which are somehwhat similar sounding, even if the DiMarzios are supposed to have a bit harsher character, if I were you.

If you happen to like to scoop out the mids of your tone anyway the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders might be more up your ally though.

And yes, all the mentioned pickups will fit just perfectly fine into the Mikro.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    igagis likes this.
  11. igagis

igagis

Oct 13, 2017
    Ok, thanks for info, now it's more clear. Most important was to know that normal pickups fit the Mikro without drilling the wood :).

NoiseNinja likes this.
  12. The bridge jazz pickup on a Mikro is the neck jazz pickup on other basses.

So if your changing the Mikro jazz pup...then use a short one.

igagis likes this.
  13. igagis

igagis

Oct 13, 2017
    Thanks for that useful info! Luckily I haven ordered new pickups yet, though I already had wrong J one added to a shopping cart :).

ZenG likes this.
  14. igagis

igagis

Oct 13, 2017
  15. Glad that works for you. Mine seems to be different.

I have Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, and EMG, all jazz bridge pups, in front of me and none of them will fit the Mikro except the Dimarzio neck jazz pup.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  16. igagis

igagis

Oct 13, 2017
    It looks like each Mikro is different :). Perhaps there are several modifications...

17. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Mine took the EMG Geezer Butler Jazz bridge pickup just fine too.

igagis likes this.