new pups for my pbass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by suasa, Jul 21, 2004.

1. okay I know nothing about pickups what i need from you guys and gals is some ideas on pickups for my squier p bass i dont want to have to cut and shape to make them fit its a 4 string bass putting a fretless neck on very soon and i want a growly fretless sound budget around 150 us 200 canadian.
  2. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    IMO, a growly fretless sound is best achieved with a fretless jazz with the bridge pup predominant. Is your P a fretless?

I've got a P/J that has bartonlini's. The P should fit your Squire. It has a wonderful punchy tone, but I'm not sure I'd call it a growl.
  3. well i dont have a jazz so i am stuck with my pbass p/j pups and i was thinking of putting barts in it but if u do that do i have to buy a bart preamp to go along with it because if i do that isnt an option at the moment just too much money. actually it will probably never be an option for this bass since i only paid 160 canadian to begin with
  4. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    You can get a passive bart P replacement and do not need a preamp. My P/J is passive and sounds absolutely wonderful (I love it more each day!).
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Check out Rio Grande. I hear their P is strikingly similar to their Pitbull. Do a search on them here, Ben Strange has fretled soundclips, and they sound amazing.
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If your desire is growly, then I wouldn't recommend Barts.

Your best bet is to go with a pickup with a vintage vibe to it. Lindy Fralin comes to mind, but I have no direct experience with these. Also, your hand position will have ALOT to do with the sound. Pluck the strings closer to the bridge. Move your plucking hand around until you find the best place to acheive your desired sound.