Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New pups for my spector.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dudemeister, Dec 17, 2001.

1. I'm thinking about changing my passive EMG-HZ pups on my Spector NS20004, but I have no idea what to change them to.
    I think the tone is quite thin. I'd like some more middle added to the tone. I've tried the warwicks alot and love their tone. Is it possible to make the tone more like that, or is the only way to buy one (I'm thinking of doing that anyway...)?
    How much will changing pups alter the sound?
    What pickups do you recomend?

Tanks!

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Pop some EMG's in there man. CS's are good. real good. then theres dcs. there good to.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sounds like you want Bartolini to me. I don't think EMGs will have the midrange you're looking for. Duncans may work too but I don't have any experience with them.

There should be some Bart M-series that will drop right in. Maybe try the "bright" series. They have split, dual, and triple-coil configurations too. I'd try the split in the neck and double coil in the bridge. I don't know if that will make it sound like a Warwick or anything, though. :) There's got to be someone around here with experience doing this . . .

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    You know what? I think hes right.

5. Thanks!

I've read that you can add another battery to get an 18V preamp (or something like that). How does this alter the sound?
    Since i've got two EMG-HZ pickups, what EMG replacements to you recomend for the bridge-pickup and what replacement for the neck-pickup?

6. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    if you want emgs, try the new twin model. I'm getting them on my custom, and it's a dc, switchable to a "J", with different internal preamp voicings. twice the pickup!

7. Shall I use them for both Bridge and Neck pickups?
    Do you know what they're called? I can't seem to find them on their homepage.

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    You can, if you think it will sound good! Think about your sound, how do you want it to be? What do you usually do to the eq, on your bass, and on your amp? what frequencies do you usually boost/cut? from there, spend some time in this forum and see what people say about different pickups, or just ask!

The new pickup I was talking about is only mentioned on the first page, with other "news". Basically the idea is, a normal EMG J-pickup and a DC in one soapbar, with a switch, and _internal_ preamp, that colours the sound to a J-sound, when set, and gives that modern DC sound when so wanted.

Then there's the CS pickup, which is supposed to be a bit warmer. You could ponder on whether maybe to use one of either, or go with the same each, and so on.

There are also other manufacturers to consider... Everything is personal preference, but if you go with the big names like Bartolini, EMG, Seymour Duncan, maybe Kent Armstrong, you'll get a pickup that is of high quality, and that many players like. You can't really know until you try it with your hands in your bass, so it's a bit of a gamble, but do your research, and you'll probably be allright.

EDIT: I don't know if it's possible to mix for instance a "twin" pickup with for instance a CS, but there shouldn't be a problem IMO. maybe some extra wiring, but emg's aren't usually that tricky to wire. some tech-head will probably come along now and tell me that it's impossible because of the in-out of phase mojo, or the series/parallel voodo, or something else that goes over my head. good luck with the pickups

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    They *do* mention the TW pickups on the EMG website, on the front page. Sounds to me like they are a quad/triple coil, so you can switch between dual and single coil sounds and it is still humbucking. Like many Bartolini pickups.

http://www.emginc.com/index1.shtml

They also mention that the pickup is a CS design, not DC. So in dual-coil mode it sounds like a CS pickup.

I think you'll be fine using it in conjunction with any of their other pickups.

10. Thanks alot! I'll look around some more.

11. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    thanks for the correction.

CS, mmmmmm...

Actually, all EMG pickups are noise-free even the J's, with the internal preamp and good shielding, and so on...

12. For what it's worth, Seymour Duncan offer an exchange service, if you're not happy with the pups you've bought, you can change them for another model Duncan.

13. The EMG DC and CS humbucking pickups have a very full, "round sound" but don't emphasize the mid range as much as others. However, the EMG J pickups that are housed with humbucking covers so they'll fit the NS-2000 Basses. These EMGs are a whole other story. Mid range snarl from coast to coast! If you have a 4 string you will need the EMG 35J, if it's a 5 sting you have then it will be a EMG 40J. That will be the answer to the sound you are looking for, also, EMG active (not HZ) pickups have a more aggressive, "in your face" sound than Bartolini pickups.

14. I've found a new Czech Spector for the equivalent of 1 233,56USD and I think I've found someone who wants to buy my NS2000/4 instead.
    I've no idea what they cost in the rest of the world, so is this a good price?
    It looks something like this.

15. $1233 US dollars is a very fair price for a new Czech made NS-4. I have a Czech 4 and two Czech 5s, you will really enjoy the bass!!! Please post a pic of the bass if you buy it. Good luck, cheers!