1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New pups for new custom bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sptz, May 29, 2007.

1. Sptz

Sptz

Apr 18, 2004
    Hey, I'm about to build a new bass with a local luthier, I don't understand anything about electronics and pickups... So basically it's going to be a 5str, I play a lot of metal, fusion jazz, funk... I think I would like a pre-amp, not sure... but don't know witch pickups can I trust and sound best... thanks in advance,.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

my guess the luthier may have some recs, then again he may not.

See FAQ Dimento's Trouble Shooting Guide 1st paragraph Bass Mod link for how I choose pups.

3. Sptz

Sptz

Apr 18, 2004
    I decided that I'm going with passive electronic, so I'm looking into Bartolini, as they seem to sound nice... I'm looking at a lot of pickups, so for a 5 string preferably HH or SH, wich ones do you guys recommend? For a good growly deep sound and really warm tone.

4. Why not go HH, but give each humbucker a coil tap switch?

So basically you could switch between:

H-H
    H-S
    S-S
    S-H
    H-H

?

5. Sptz

Sptz

Apr 18, 2004
    Hm.. now I'm actually thinking of putting an Aguilar pre-amp OBP-3 , but still haven't decided on wich pu's to go with...

And I_got_a_mohawk that's actually a good ideia

6. Jamal Hurse

Jamal Hurse Solo Bass Artist

May 23, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    Not sure if this is your thing, but I looked for 30 years to find my holy grail of sound. I found it in Erno Zwaan's q-tuners. Flat out, the most outstanding pickups I have ever heard. They are not for everybody. Some guys like thier basses to sound muddled. These pickups are crystal clear and even across the spectrum. All his stuff is passive and kicks @ss on all my active gear. You can hear them on his website at Q-tuner.com and on my bass on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jamal+ursa&search=Search

7. Sptz

Sptz

Apr 18, 2004
    Wow, now that's a great tone! That's a bit close to the kind of sound I'm looking for

8. Sptz

Sptz

Apr 18, 2004
    Hey, I have decided to go with Bartolini's... I'm going to get an Aguilar OBP-3 pre-amp so I can have a passive/active switch and get some passive Bartolinis... but which one's should I get? I'm looking for some great round and consistent sound, great slap tone... overall great for funk, jazz fusion, and also for some rock or even metal..

9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Would be nice to hear some "dry" clips, as reverbalters the tone a lot in my experience.:)

10. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Villex pickups are worth checking out. They sound very full, balanced and detailed.

www.villex.com

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I highly recommend Bassculture Pickups.
    Very good, and Christof Dolf is a person who is able to realize the customers ideas rather well if they are communicated clearly.
    One can have the Pickups with exposed or non exposed pole pieces and in wood-covered.
    The ones I have give you a lot of detail , but not the "hyped " top end I heared when trying q-tuners and others
    They are also not "honky or "muddy".
    Very "open", and balanced.
    As I said
    Highly recommended-
    www.bassculture.de is the website

12. Sptz

Sptz

Apr 18, 2004
    But does anyone here has experience with Bartolini's and can indicate me what are the best models for what I said above?

13. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I like the K series as they sound a bit more growly and sharper

14. Sptz

Sptz

Apr 18, 2004
  15. Hi Sptz,

May I post a question in your thread as well? I am also looking for a pickup for my custom bass I am about to make.
    I want it to have a Bongo style sound for my next Custom Bass. I like the way Musicman Bongo sounds, but want it in a different body design, and better wood (Ash).
    Any recommendation for what pickup I should use?
    I'm opting for a HH configuration with coil tap switch, just like i_got_a_mohawk suggestion...
    Thanks everyone, and thanks Sptz.

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

probably should have been it's own thread.

Having said that, in spite of it's outward appearance the Bongo is a very unique pup in construction, tone, and material such that it's under-belly makes a Q tuner look like an everyday pup.

I think of it as a P-toned MM yet the tone is different than any pup I've had, in some 100. I don't think EB sells pups seperate but you can check. They didn't used to, they may now. Used pulled from a Bongo was the only source.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021