Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new pups for squier P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funky plunky, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funky plunky

funky plunky

Mar 18, 2004
    Hey all. I've been playing this squier affinity P bass for a while and it has perfect construction, but the tone isnt really to my liking. I dont see the need to throwa whole bunch of money on a new bass, so I'm considering new pickups.

As of now I find the tone not low enough, and to have way too much growl and bite, even when the tone knob is rolled off. What kind of pickups would I get for a really deep, warm, P bass tone?

2. Should be Seymour Duncan Hot P-Bass :hyper: or the Quarter Pound thing :hyper:

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah the SD quarter pound precision pickups sound like what you want.

You might consider a replacement bridge and machine heads too?

4. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    I'd go active on a Squier.
    EMG active for P.

5. funky plunky

funky plunky

Mar 18, 2004
    I dont think im going to turn the whole thing into an active bass. But thanks for the advice about the Seymor duncan pups. I also dont see the need for new machine heads because the ones that come pre-installed look and work fine, as does the bridge. I dont see why replacing bridges is so popular, everything about my squier is perfectly fine.

6. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    I played the same bass for three years. I will have to disagree and say to go with the Fender 62RI pup. It wil give you the low end and warmth that your looking for. I put a SD/QP in my Affinity P and after a few months was not happy with the harshness, way to much midrange and not warm, very growly though. I compared my bass with a mexican standard and found Fender pups just had the real P-bass tone that I was looking for. I agree about the bridge situation also. I have had the heavy mass Gotoh 201 bridge on mine and eventually put the stock bridge back on. The stock bridge lets the bottom end blossom more.

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´m going to close this one as it is the umpteenth thread about p-bass pickups....

This has been discussed here many, MANY times before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.