1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Pups in Yamaha RBX374

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by goody658, Apr 17, 2006.

1. goody658

goody658

Nov 15, 2005
    I am going to do up my Rbx374 i was thinking about putting in the following pups.

SEYMOUR DUNCAN STK-J2n HOT JAZZ

and

SEYMOUR DUNCAN SPB-2 HOT P-BASS

Its s 97-98 model its got a PJ config with alder body,maple neck with rosewood board.

Does anyone see any problems with that setup or choice of pups?
    Or does anyone have any better ideas?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I don't see any problems as long as the pickups fit. I haven't checked that but I expect they would. I like SD Basslines pickups. I use the Quarter Pounder P myself. I've tried a bass or two with the Hot models and liked them too but personally favour the Quarter Pounder.

3. goody658

goody658

Nov 15, 2005
    ok cool thanks

Does the 1/4 pounder hum alot or is it a quite pickup.
    I have read that it can be a bit noisy.

Also how much diffrent is it compared to the Hot pups

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have no hum with the Quarter Pounder P pickup. The J style Quarter Pounder is a single coil so will pick up some noise like all single coils. I haven't heard that they are more so than other brands.

SD also makes hum cancelling J style pickups that might be better for the bridge position if noise is a problem. The P pickup is no problem as it's a humbucking design.

To my ears the Quarter Pounder (the P at least) has a little more going on in the midrange while the hot seems a bit more scooped in the middle. I haven't got any to A-B. That's just my recollection. They're both very good pickups.