Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brendan, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    On my Ibanez 4 string...I'm having really low output. Now, is this possibly due to the fact that I'm using a lowered tuning (BEAD, tuned CGCF), and the pups just aren't that great...or is it more likely low end pups. It's an Ibanez GSR200, so I kinda suspect the latter more than the former. But, the bass is still very servicable, so would a set of new pups be what the doctor ordered?

My only thought. I have plastic up the wazoo, so would is maybe do to just mound plastic (or something similar) over the exposed pole pieces, or buy pup covers, and raise the pups, thereby getting around the nasty pops when the strings hit the pole peices. Or would the output effect be somewhere near negligible, and the pups a more permanent choice?

If I did get a set of pups, it'd most likely be a set of Dimarzio DP126 P+J sets outta MF...or would you suggest a slightly better pup (but fairly inexpensive set of P+Js)? Passive.

2. If you raise the pickups by loosening the screws on the pickups a few turns then it will increase the output level. If you're looking to upgrade pickups to help your tone out a bit then try some Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound P/J's (they're passive). The set should run about $130.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    WEll...heh heh...:oops:....It seems that my constant anchoring on the pups ahve kinda shot the springs, so they litterally don't rise at all. That, and they are exposed poles anyway, so crack/pop city. Mabe a new set of springs and a pup cover, then?

4. New pickups are cheap enough, I'd just replace them.