Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Purchase: 1976 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Las Olas, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hi Everyone

Finally, after years of wanting one, I have me a nice old Jazz bass. It's a 1976 model, all original. Came with mirror guard but I've put the original black one back on, along with the neck chrome pup guard. It came with a Schaller bridge which I'm keeping on, but I do have the original, plus original case etc. It was £770 - a really decent price for us here in the UK.

It's got SO much growl! It really has. I can get punchy Jaco tones or thick Marcus sounds out of it with no hassle. It's not heavy, as a lot of 70s Fenders are. I'm just about to throw some nickel Elites on, I prefer a lighter guage than what's on at the moment.

This is going to be a keeper, I know it. And an investment to boot.

Great scenes. Hope you like it! Feel free to furnish me with lovely pictures of your vintage Fenders, I get a real kick out of seeing them!

Regards

Mike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nicest thing ive ever seen :) btw black pickguard looks much better.

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Badass :cool: I love how its a little beat up on the side

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    That's beautiful. I hope you enjoy it for years to come ;) Be careful with the truss rod bullet, and the thin wood surrounding it, the old one piece necks tend to crack very easily if you make adjustments without loosening the string tension. Sweet!

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very nice. That bass is screaming....

"PLAY ME!!!"

6. Very nice - would like to hear it side by side with my newly acquired MM Ray (also black/black/maple and well worn finish))but it aint never gonna occur.

You are going to enjoy that baby!

7. Beautiful. I'm REALLY hankering for a 70's jazz bass, and that has made it worse.

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Congrats, Dude you will enjoy the sounds, should I go ahead and make the chiropractor appointments?

9. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Thanks for all the great comments. I tweaked the truss rod today, Ostinato - I took care, and it seems to have done a great job.

Mike

10. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Now I want one! AGAIN. :bawl:

11. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Good call on black pickguard.. Nice bass. :bassist:

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That is a cool looking bass. If you could get it to talk, I wonder what kind of stories it would tell!! :)

-Mike

13. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    It would probably tell me - between bouts of lung-racking coughing - how it started passive smoking in late 1976, and that's why the case and body REEKS of cigarette smoke!!

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I just got it's little bro!

[​IMG]

Great basses in a great era, eh?

15. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    SWEET! Very, very nice!