New Purchase (75 RI MIJ)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sincity, Dec 17, 2003.

1. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Well, just picked this up and I'm really looking forward to hearing how she plays.

I paid $459.00 in mint condition. I wanted a USA RI, but figured this was not a bad deal.

I have a few questions.

If anyone plays a MIJ reissue, are the pickups noisy or harsh sounding?

If I don't like the current pickups, and want to try something different, what do you guys recommend? I was thinking Lindy Fralins.

3) Will a normal jazz pickguard fit the 75 Reissues? I have to see the white in person to see if I really like it, but was thinking I might try a Tort PG.

Thanks for your help.
  2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i hear the Japanese 75 RI's are fairly sought after.

probably because they are of similar build quality to the American versions at a fraction of the price.

i had a USA 75 RI that was great. but, not for $1600.

3. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Nice score! I just picked up the exact same style 75 RI from a DudePitter a couple weeks ago.

Its a GREAT bass. I never liked some other Jazz's I've played, but this one just feels good to me.

The pickups sound pretty good. I'm going to swap mine for some Dimarzio UltraJazz in the future along with the bridge. The pickups have a "70"s know, big and burly..

As for the pickguard (I'm switching mine to tortoise as well along with some ashtrays :)" go to WD guitar products and you can select all sorts of Jazz pickguards..Here...

I guess we both got lucky! Mine cost me $450 and is in excellent shape with one ding on the headstock!
  4. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I play a MIJ 57 RI Pbass from 82', it has minor dings here and there but it sounds great, I use it as my main bass.

The pu aren't noisy.

5. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Thanks Soybass. I always associate Dimarzios with white PU covers, do they come in black?

I think I am going to try to find a Tort guard that is darker, meaning more brown with hints of red. I think it will blend and compliment the rosewood a little better.

Thanks for the link to WD.
  6. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Yep, they come in a search for them on eBay..There is a music store selling them for $99 a set..not bad..I went to Bass Players web site and read the pickup "battle " article and those seem to be the pickups of choice.

I think WD will have just the pickguard you're looking for.

Dont worry, I won't mock you with the same look as mine, promise :)