1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Purchase: 97' Fender P Ash/Maple

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by collicsws6z28, Mar 1, 2008.

1. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    Found this on craigslist a few weeks ago, finally met up with the guy and liked what I saw, so I took it home. Its in great shape, barely ever played. Came with a Fender HSC, also in great shape. It plays smoother than jsut about any other Fender i've ever played. I plan to throw a tort guard on it shortly. I ended up paying 600 cash, case included for practically a brand new bass, heres a few pics...Let me know what you think

000_0079.

000_0081.

2. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Looks great! $600 ain't bad for one in great shape.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Nice! :)

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Congrats man-that looks like a killer deal. I just paid right about $500 [w/tax] for a new MIM P-bass w/gig bag. $600 for a used MIA/hardshell in great shape-AMAZING.

5. That is a beauty, reminds me to get a maple necked p-bass...

6. looks great mate. congrats on the purchase.

7. Nice woodgrain! Looks like a keeper!

8. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    This PG on the bass now has and little part cut out for access to the truss rod, when I change the PG, do I have to find one with that little cut or does it not matter?

9. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Sexy!

10. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    Wow... this combination is on my GAS list. Natural with Maple is amazing.

11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    It only matters if you want to adjust the truss rod without pulling the neck.

That's a great looking bass, but then, it's in my favorite color combination.

I have a MIM Standard FSR in ash with the tort and an unlined maple fretless fingerboard. I'm thinking I need to replace my fiesta red Classic '50s P with another natural ash -- but the Classic '50s is a really fine playing and sounding bass....

12. Widdershins

Widdershins

Aug 28, 2007
    I've got a '97 P too (alder) and when I was looking to pick one up, all of the ones I tried played amazing... so I got to pick the color I wanted without having to sacrifice anything!

Seriously, it's the 2nd best bass I have ever played. The best being a late '70s Ric. that had been salvaged from a burnt out house (or that's how the story went... didn't ask too many questions because it wasn't the guy's house to begin with:bag:).

Tied for 3rd would be a Stingray a few years back and one '07 Geddy in particular of about 5... neck played really nice, but ultimately was just too thin for me.

As for the pickguard, what about black? Black looks hot on natural. Oh, and the pickguard is easy to cut if you have access to a dremel tool and/or small files. Trace the line from the old on the new - remove most of the material with the dremel - file up to the lines.

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

Taking off the pickguard is a whole lot easier than taking off the neck.:meh:

If you get the older style p/g.. just take the p/g off when and if you need to adjust the truss rod. WAY less complicated than removing the neck.