1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Purchase coming up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Landy67, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Hi All,

I'm new to playing bass, but I'm having lots of fun, and learning all kinds of new stuff. My entry to the world of bass was a Dean Edge Fretless with passive EMG-HZ pickups, and a Acoustic B-20 amp. Both of them were used, and I paid more for a set of D'Addario Chrome's than I did for either the Bass or the amp.

I'm ready to upgrade, and the tax free weekend is coming up, so I'm hoping to take advantage of the sales, and buy from local people. I have enough of a budget to buy a nice amp, or a nice bass, but not both.

I'm looking for recommendations.
    1 Should I spend my money on a new Amp, or a new Bass?
    2 Maybe a new amp, and upgrade the bass?

I only play for my own entertainment and education, and occasionally with others. I would like to get something that's going to last me. I'd rather buy something beyond my abilities that I can grow into.

So... What would you do? What's your favorite gear? I'm into rock, folk, funk, reggae, bluegrass.

Thanks!

2. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I'd probably get a new bass before the amp. Considering that you don't need a big practice/gigging amp, the new bass would probably be the best route.

If you're looking for another fretless, i'm personally a fan of how Warwick and Fender fretless basses feel and play.

3. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I personally feel your amp is probably the weaker part of the chain here, but if you're not gonna be gigging any time soon, that could wait a bit. Since your bass is fretless, why not try a fretted one? Or experiment with passive/active just to get an idea of what kind of tones you can get. If you want to try and experiment, I'd say look no further than a Tribute G&L L-2000. Those things have a huge range of tones and can get reasonably close to the 3 classic basses made by Leo Fender (Stingray, Jazz, Precision).

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd always start with the instrument, but both are kinda necessary.

5. A $200 bass through a $3,000 amp will sound incredible

A $3,000 bass through a $200 amp will sound like crap

Get a better amp. doesn't need to be an enormous 8x10 rig, but a quality amp will turn your Dean into a whole new instrument. Personally, I like Hartke for cheap, great tone.

Along those lines, have you thought about an amp and a preamp? An EMG preamp can also do wonders to expand the tones available from the passive EMG's

6. Actually, I'm playing an $85 used bass through a $40 used amp. I wanted an Ibanez SR5000E, but when I saw the used amp for $40 I decided I was going to get it. I played both the Ibanez, and the used $85 special and they both sounded the same through the used amp so I went with the cheap combo.

I'm beginning to think I need to do both.

7. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Eventually you probably will... The GAS never ends.

I'd recommend trying some beefier amps, maybe a head and cab rig... Used or new you could probably get something very satisfying. I'd get a new amp before a new bass, if you want to play with other instruments. A powerful low end takes a lot of watts but is important for a lot of bass tones :D

8. OK, so here's what I did. I went to GC, and brought my bass. I tried it through the same practice amp, then tried the Mark Bass, and the Fender Rumble on display. My bass sounded much better through the better amps. Then I tried a Jass bass, and a Music Man B-20 and they sound like crap. Then I went to a local dealer, and brought in my bass and amp. I had a couple of real bass players try to set them up and get a decent tone, and it sounded weak at best.

I finally decided on a Genz Benz Streamliner 600 and a Focus 2 X 10 cabinet. It sounds great with my bass, and it sounds fantastic with a Jazz bass.

Now I can take my time and find a nice bass to replace the "Made in China" stuff I'm playing with now.

Thanks for the help!