Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New purchase Dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Aug 12, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I have been looking into purchasing a new bass for about a wekk now, and as i am going to have to wait until at least september to even try a lakland, i have some time to do some research. A thought occurred to me today that perhaps the right choice is a new amp as oppsed to a new bass, and i therefore submit my current situation.

I live in Aurora, 45 minutes north of toronto, and have about 4-5 music stores to go to and try out basses and amps. I am currently using a slammer 4-string chapparal, it's remained in the bag for most of the past 8 years (not my fault) and i felt it was time for a change. The amp i use is a fender BXR twenty-five, and unlike the guitar i felt as though it was satisfactory for the time being, but am now having second thoughts. It is only equipped with bass, mid and treble boosts so it is not one for versatility, but i find it gives off a nice sound. It is also 8 years old. I have been playing for only 4 months but am serious about bass and plan to continue for many years to come. My budget for the guitar was hopefully around $500 (CANADIAN), although i would be willing to spend more if i found one i really lied (same goes for amps)

I would like to know your opinions on which i should replace, and why. If you think the guitar, how about some suggestions of brands with prices to look into for someone who plays classic rock/metal. If you think the amp, suggestions with prices are again very welcome, and any other info you may have would be greatly appreciated

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hey man, just having 3 knobs for bass, treble, and mids doesn't make an amp bad.

Anyways, definately update the amp. There's a whole thread on this, but basically, are you gonna play a nice bass through a crappy amp? I'd rather play a crappy bass through a loud amp.

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If the amp sounds good to you, I say keep it and replace the bass. As Petary said, having just bass, mid, treble doesn't make the amp bad if it gets you the tone you like. Lots of amps have this setup. IMO I think I prefer it to an amp with a graphic eq and all these bells and whistles.

For your style of music, I'd look at a Lakland or G&L.

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Fourstringdrums is right, definately replace the bass first. I say this because you're in the beginning stages of playing and having a bass that you absolutely love to play is crucial to learning and really getting a feel for the instrument (IMO, etc.). I'd definately look into the Lakland Skyline series, used KSDs, Used G&Ls, and MTD kingstons. All high quality basses at lower prices.

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I never meant to imply that my amp was bad because it had three knobs, just that it isnt completely tricked out wiht lots of knobs.

Good to know that my initial intention was correct, i had the feeling that getting a good bass that i like was more important in the early stages than getting a good amp.

Any other advice/comments?

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea. Make sure you look around and really do your research when you look for a new bass and don't buy by name alone. I made this mistake when I first upgraded and bought a Tobias Growler which was a real POS only because I knew Tobias was a good name (I just didn't know that this particular model didn't live up to the name).

But again, you honestly wouldn't go wrong with a G&L Tribute, Lakland Skyline, MTD Kingston, Heir or Saratoga, Yamaha, or Peavey Cirrus BXP or Millennium. All great basses. Just try and play as many as you can, but that may be tough depending on where you live.