1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Purchase opinions appreciated

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by StevieDee, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Hi while looking through the local ads I found this Michael Poller Romanian bass really, really cheap so I took a punt on it. My First impressions are it needs new strings and a setup. I thought it was going to be all laminate but I think the top is carved, I'm no expert but the grain seems to continue to the edge of the top

But the idea is to string it with gut type strings and use it as a back up, advice much appreciated i hope I got a bit of a bargain here but if I didn't that's life!

I've added a some pics so any info advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

1.jpg
      File size:
      38.5 KB
      Views:
      2.jpg
      File size:
      47.7 KB
      Views:
  2. some more pics

Attached Files:

5.jpg
      File size:
      54.5 KB
      Views:
      4.jpg
      File size:
      48.5 KB
      Views:
  3. The top is carved which would suggest it's a fully carved Michael Poller quite pleased.

4. I've also got a Poller 3/4, exactly like yours. I've had it for about 10 years. It's a nice bass, and plays well after being properly set up - new bridge properly carved, and sound post placed well. And it's definitely solid & carved, as it demonstrated itself to be when it split off a chunk at the shoulder! I could do with rib bumpers, really.

At the moment, I have soft Helicore Pizz strings on mine, as I mainly play jazz; but they also bow fairly well, for when I'm playing the posh stuff, in my monkey suit. However, I have recently been wondering about using guts, or nylons, to get that Ray Brown thwack. Did you string your Poller with guts, and if so, which ones, how did if go? Does it like the softness? I've often wondered if it might project a bit better with harder tension strings, as it is a little on the quiet side, even if I really dig in, with little bloom in the bass.