1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Purchase Pet Peeve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Swampish, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Before I begin my thesis, it's important to remember that you can never overstate the power of alliteration.

OK, so you just purchased a new bass (congrats, by the way), you get it home and want to go crazy cranking out all sorts of low end madness. However, one thing still needs to be done. That is, the removal of the plastic on the pick guard! Now I know it seems trivial and I sound like a whiny [pick your whiny stereotype of choice] , but it's often pain in the a$$ to remove usually entailing removal of the guard screws and sometimes even a volume or tone knob in order to properly remove the plastic film.

Is this just me? Is my local dealer not doing their job by removing it themselves or am I just being picky?

Garret Graves and scottm like this.
  2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Spend just a few minutes searching and you'll find lots of complaints about minuscule scratches on "new" pickguards. It's a case of the vendor being damned if they do and damned if they don't.

TrustRod, Ikkir, 12BitSlab and 28 others like this.
  3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    It's just you. Once that film is removed, it's not new anymore. Also, every instrument gets that film just in case that particular instrument becomes a floor model, or gets played. It protects the guard from scratches. I actually like removing it myself. It's quite easy to do without removing any screws, or knobs if you take your time.

Ikkir, MynameisMe, Pilgrim and 14 others like this.
  4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    That material is necessary for the PG manufacturer too.
    He/she can't stack them up without protection from scratches without a protective covering.

My Sandberg had a film so tough that it was a PITA to remove.
    Much lesss painful to remove than watching the 6:00 news though.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b3.
    :D

Spidey2112, MateoG78 and Swampish like this.
  6. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    That makes sense and I know it's a mountain out of a molehill, just kind of a pain, like when you're trying to unpack your kid's Christmas gifts from their packaging, you'd think it was precious metals! But you're right, I guess the dealer has to cover that potential issue.

lizardking837 likes this.
  7. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    I guess I go into Christmas mode and should be a little more patient with the removal. Inevitably, most comes off OK, but there's that little bit sticking out here or there...

Lownote38 likes this.
  8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    If you go slow, it comes out from beneath the screws and knobs (unless the bass was sitting in the store for 5 years).

Swampish likes this.
  9. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Nice basses! And yes about the news...

10. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Ha! on my last bass I left it on for over a year, until it started peeling off by itself. Was I being too picky? LOL

11. View it as a honor, only available to the original owner.
    There, feel better?

12. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    You beat me to it! That's exactly what I did with the new Fender Precision I bought four years ago. The protective plastic comes off much more easily after it starts peeling!

Joedog likes this.
  13. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Propeller-Head Hero Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    New Jersey
    Bingo. And as the “new” owner, I will usually spend whatever time is needed to pull the knobs, screws, and usually - the entire pick guard to preserve it for the next “new” owner.

It’s one of the things the gets me into the instrument, making sure everything is snug and tidy prior to stringing up with my favorite wires and setting up for my playing style. I find all types of weirdness from manufacturers this way, mostly the volume builders. But most importantly, when I’m done I know my instrument is solid and no surprises lurk in the cavity beneath the plastic.

Doctor J likes this.
  14. I prefer my new stuff to come wrapped up. Peeling off that protective film is one of the joys of buying a new instrument instead of one someone else has used for however long. Just enjoy it, I say.

15. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    really?

16. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

A bass has a pickguard to protect the body from getting scratched>> the pickguard is wrapped in plastic to protect it from getting scratched. Huh!???

n1as likes this.
  17. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Go out and buy a Rickenbacker. Leaving the plastic off of their pickguards gives them the ability to offer their instruments at those ridiculously low prices and stunning attention to detail that they're known for.
    ....and as an added bonus, you can spend the next half hour getting the adhesive goo left behind by the "Made in USA" and "Pull My Finger(vintage tone switch)" stickers.

18. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    If you don’t want to whine, you can always buy a bass without a big slab of plastic (aka pickguard) on it.... Problem solved.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Joedog and City like this.
  19. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I read a thread on here last year, guy wanted a pickguard for his pickguard so the pickguard wouldn't get scratched.

Everyone told him just get another pickguard, but this did not compute with him. Wanted a protective guard over the factory pickguard.

I've purchased a few used basses where the previous owner played it with the protective film intact. Eh whatever, I rip it off.

jd56hawk likes this.
  20. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Okay, we can hang.

Swampish likes this.