Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaworski, Feb 14, 2003.

1. jaworski

jaworski

Aug 18, 2002
    hey there, just asking for a bit of advice. i've been playing bass for about 8 months or so, started off on a bass i got in a combo (bass/amp for $500) and have progressed fairly good, in my opinion, for someone who hasn't had lessons yet (might take some in the future). i have a maximum of $500 to spend (note: AUS dollars), and just want to know if people could maybe give me a site with some information on different basses or just voice opinoins/experiences on different basses. if it helps, the music i play is mostly rock/metal bands such as ratm, deftones, tool... and also, whether or not i should move up for the active pick-up or stick with what i got now? any help/suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi

jordin makes some awesome basses, brand new theyre $1200 now but i might be selling mine in a month or so. (cheaper than that as youd imagine)

how many strings are you looking for?

and at $500 you probably wont get anywhere near tools sound, justin or whoever plays for them uses rickenbacker basses...about $3500 now i think they are.

Luke

australia in da house....:bassist:

3. jaworski

jaworski

Aug 18, 2002
    i'm after a four string, i wasn't expecting to get the exact basses those bands that i mentioned use. i just thought telling you the music i play might help specify what basses would work well for me

4. Start by doing a search right here. This topic has been covered many times. You dont say what gear you have, but in my opinion as a longtime gigging bassist and manager of a music store, I think your money is better spent going into an amp that will handle playing gigs. Any old bass will sound pretty good going through a decent amp, and your playing will progress in leaps and bounds when you start playing with other musos in a band.