1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaworski, Feb 14, 2003.

1. jaworski

jaworski

Aug 18, 2002
    hey there, just asking for a bit of advice. i've been playing bass for about 8 months or so, started off on a bass i got in a combo (bass/amp for $500) and have progressed fairly good, in my opinion, for someone who hasn't had lessons yet (might take some in the future). i have a maximum of $500 to spend (note: AUS dollars), and just want to know if people could maybe give me a site with some information on different basses or just voice opinoins/experiences on different basses. if it helps, the music i play is mostly rock/metal bands such as ratm, deftones, tool... and also, whether or not i should move up for the active pick-up or stick with what i got now? any help/suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi

jordin makes some awesome basses, brand new theyre $1200 now but i might be selling mine in a month or so. (cheaper than that as youd imagine)

how many strings are you looking for?

and at $500 you probably wont get anywhere near tools sound, justin or whoever plays for them uses rickenbacker basses...about $3500 now i think they are.

Luke

australia in da house....:bassist:

3. jaworski

jaworski

Aug 18, 2002
    i'm after a four string, i wasn't expecting to get the exact basses those bands that i mentioned use. i just thought telling you the music i play might help specify what basses would work well for me

4. Start by doing a search right here. This topic has been covered many times. You dont say what gear you have, but in my opinion as a longtime gigging bassist and manager of a music store, I think your money is better spent going into an amp that will handle playing gigs. Any old bass will sound pretty good going through a decent amp, and your playing will progress in leaps and bounds when you start playing with other musos in a band.